Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

assembly to a part

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
METZ150MX
238 Views, 5 Replies

assembly to a part

i was wondering if it was possible to turn an assembly into a part.  my reason for this is because i have an assembly that was sent to me, it is metric and i need to scale it. i figured if i made it a single part i could derive it then and scale it that way without having to go thru and reconstrain everything, just wanted to make it simpler.

thanks for any helpful replies 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: METZ150MX

Derive Component

Start a new file.

Derive Component and select the Assembly file

there is a box to enter the desired scale.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
METZ150MX
in reply to: JDMather

so is it possible to make an assembly of parts into a single part?    and i could derive each part individually but that would take more time then i would like to spend on this and i am sure i would have some constraint issues also.

Message 4 of 6
JDMather

Try it!

Start a new part file.

Derive Component the assembly into a single part.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 6
blair

Start a new part, then select the "Derive" command. It will then ask for a source document, which can be either another IPT file or IAM file. You then have a number of options such as mirror or scale. Just remember that if you are deriving a IAM that consists of different materials. It will only be a single uniform material in the derived IPT file. Mass and COG will not be consistant with the parent IAM file.You can overide the Mass or create a custom density material to achieve the corrent Mass but the COG will not match.

The Inventor Help file will explain the steps in greater detail with pictures.

It's really quick and easy, shouldn't take more than 30 seconds regardless of the number of items in the IAM file.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 6
METZ150MX
in reply to: JDMather

thanks, i was not real clear on what you were saying at first, but it worked!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report