Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Sketches.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
cholte
603 Views, 9 Replies

Assembly Sketches.

Having dynamic projected geometry at the assy level that is parametric to sub parts, not fixed!!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: cholte

What does that mean it is not working?

I am relatively new to Inventor.  Was there a request placed on this?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 10
cholte
in reply to: Cadmanto

It means that Inventor is inferior to two other 3D sofware packages I own...

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

You are going to have to post examples.
AFAIK it works here, but maybe I don't understand your problem statement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
ampster402

@cholte wrote:

It means that Inventor is inferior to two other 3D sofware packages I own...

maybe I missed the question but why are you here again?

Message 6 of 10
cholte
in reply to: ampster402

Because ASSY sketches have no dynamics for driving multiple sub parts.

Message 7 of 10
JDMather

You are using Inventor incorrectly.
Assembly level sketches are for assembly level features (cutting only).

You need to get training on skeletal or multi-body solid modeling or top-down in-context adaptive modeling techniques.

Your  sketch should be in a part file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
Cadmanto

Listen, I get your frustration.  I have only been using Inventor for about 6 months.  I come from 12 years of Solidworks.

I have definitely had my share of hating how Inventor functions.  I can tell you first hand that it is mostly ignorance.  When I didn't know something I learned it either on my own or asking a lot of questions here on this forum.  Or I picked the brains of our VAR to get some great tips and tricks and knowledgeable answers.  Do I like Inventor better then Solidworks?  Not yet, but I can honestly say the gap is not as wide as it used to be.  Inventor is getting better, and in my book is better and easier to use then Pro-E.  So my advise to you would be to take the edge off of your questions and learn.  There are some smart users on this forum and you can take advantage of that.  With out the attitude.  Trust me.  No software is perfect.  There are plenty of people that come on the Solidworks forum and say things like "Why can't SW do this?  Inventor can!!!" Smiley Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 9 of 10
cholte
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks for the advice. I will try and take the edge off. I’m a consultant and own all three packages. The only reason I bought Inventor is I have a client that uses Inventor and wanted me to design his equipment. So when time is not only money, but assurance of more contracts and the software is the limiting factor that is frustrating. Now there are designers that are employees who don’t care if the software crashes and they lose their work or takes 30-45 seconds to save a part you are working on, I do. Pro-E is by far the highest performing stable platform out there; Solidworks and Inventor are just user friendly CAD packages.

This is coming from a guy who has been using Solidworks since 98’ version (14 yrs) and just purchased Pro-E two years ago on a contract.

Message 10 of 10
ampster402

sorry for the way I replied, I was just going by the few msg's of yours I had a chance to read that seemed to indicate you wanted to come here and just vent.

I can understand where alot of companies try to take a shortcut and not provide training to their employees after laying down a sizeable amount of cash for the software and hardware - that is if they did spend the cash for decent hardware which isn't always the case.

But as others have mentioned here and in quite a few other posts, don't forget to get real training and not attempt to learn it by yourself.

NX and Pro-E are top of the line software, SW and Inventor are in the middle in terms of features and capabilities, but all solidmodeling software should always include training and not just thrown on your desk and expect a decent return for your investment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report