Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly repeated component placement

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
superfunnytogo
2536 Views, 3 Replies

Assembly repeated component placement

Hello,

This is my first time using the forum so bear with me if I use it incorrectly.

In an assembly lets say I am placing 20 screws that fit into different holes but have the same constraints just to different spots.  Is there a way i can copy and paste a screw and all I do is select the two constraints on a new spot and it constrains the component?

I am sorry If I am being unclear, I ask this question because in the past when i have used Creo 2.0 you could copy a component and select constraints you want to use again, simply redefining them.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
cbenner
in reply to: superfunnytogo

@superfunnytogo wrote:

Hello,

This is my first time using the forum so bear with me if I use it incorrectly.

In an assembly lets say I am placing 20 screws that fit into different holes but have the same constraints just to different spots.  Is there a way i can copy and paste a screw and all I do is select the two constraints on a new spot and it constrains the component?

I am sorry If I am being unclear, I ask this question because in the past when i have used Creo 2.0 you could copy a component and select constraints you want to use again, simply redefining them.

Thanks

Welcome aboard!

First thing is, always post what version of ths software you are using, and details like wether you use Vault.  In this question I would ask if these fasteners came from the Content Center?  With library parts like that, I usually say NEVER copy and paste.  Sometimes (most of the time) parts from the Content Center that are copied and pasted,... cannot be deleted.  Yeah.

Look into using the Bolted Connection wizard found on the Design tab.  Look for some tutorials, or Youtube videos, and then play around with it in some dummy assemblies to get a feel for it.  It can take up a lot of memory and slow down a large assembly, but saves a lot of time creating the connections.  Level of Detail can help with the speed issues later if it becomes a problem.

Otherwise, if they are from CC... do not copy and paste.  If they are just parts you created and live in a regular file folder someplace.... that should be ok.

Message 3 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: cbenner

sadly this is one of those things Inventor "should" do MUCH better. It doesn't ..

Try kwiksert. http://www.kwikmcad.com/icode/KWiKSert_64/KWiKSert_64.aspx

Its well worth the cheap cost if you place lots of screws/bolts,etc..

WHY this isn't as simple in Inventor is beyond me. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 4
karthur1
in reply to: superfunnytogo

use Kwiksert like mcgyvr said..... or use copy/paste like you mentioned.  Thats about the only way to populate the assembly.

A note about copy/paste. In versions prior to 2014, you can pick the part you want to copy, then start the constraint command.  While inside the constraint command, you can press Ctrl-V and place another instance.... then add your constraint.  To quickly place the a bolt in a hole, use the insert constraint.  It will fix the component in 2 dofs (rotation is usually not important).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report