Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly rendering

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
409 Views, 3 Replies

Assembly rendering

Does anyone know if it's possible to assign a style to a single surface of a solid from within an assembly (for example, you want to use the Rendering environments surface styles on an extrusion but a cut metal style on a cut surface on a single solid.  This would need to be done from within the Assembly since the cut operation is an assembly operation.

The obvious solution is to create a new assembly with all the operations done at the part level and assign the surface properties at the part level.  That defeats the purpose of assembly operations tho.

Thanks, Alan

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

I think you will have to do a work-around.  Create a new dummy part in the context of the assembly. Copy Object as surface the face(s) you want to change color.  You can now change the color of these surfaces or thicken by a very small amount and color the solid (might need to do this if you experience bleed of colors when rendering).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

That's what I was afraid of.  This seems like a rather straight forward need to me.  Every other 3D model package I've used has that ability (Unigraphis, Solid Edge, Catia, and SDRC).

Alan

Message 4 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

I've noticed several posts lately where this funtionality would have been useful.

http://www.augi.com/inventor/submitwish.asp?page=1083

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report