Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Relationship Folder - Inventor 2014

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
pompeo79
1632 Views, 28 Replies

Assembly Relationship Folder - Inventor 2014

Hi,

this is the problem.

Everytime i open the view rapp folder the relationship folder will open too.

If i will close the relationship folder...and open again the view rapp  then it repeats.

The problem is that my assemblies has many parts an a lots of constraints...so my browser  is quickly full  of constraints visually.

I use  alots  the view rapp...so there is  away to maintain the relationship folder closed ...or open only when i will click on it?

Thanks!

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: pompeo79

were you able to figure out how to fix this? is there a setting somewhere?

Message 3 of 29
pompeo79

No yet..  😞

Message 4 of 29
-niels-

What i've noticed in our files is that, since the relationship folder is new to 2014, all the existing view reps have that folder opened by default.
If i close the folder for each view rep, they'll remain closed when switching afterward.
I just had to make sure there was some insignificant change to force a save, so it remembers to keep that folder closed.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: -niels-

"all the existing view reps have that folder opened by default."

Yes, this is what I was hoping to change, but I don't see a setting for it.

Thanks,

Artie
Message 6 of 29
-niels-
in reply to: Anonymous

I haven't seen an option to close those by default, so at best there might be a registry setting but i'm not going to poke in there without knowing what to change...

Just wondering though, if you close the folder and later switch back to that view rep, the folder does remain closed right? (just like what i'm seeing.)

If it does, even though it's a pain to close them all, at least you can fix it...

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: -niels-

Yes, it behaves as you describe. I have multiple reps so its a pain to change.
Message 8 of 29
pompeo79

Yes Artieaurora and yes Niels...

That's the point.

By default the constraints folder should be closed, that's would be perfect.

We have hundreds of assemblies with hundreds of rep of view made and saved with Inv 2013...

so now with the 2014 do i have to save manually every view of all of them?  Cat Indifferent

Message 9 of 29
Anonymous

Well heck why would you want to have problems fixed when you can have pointless features each release?

Message 10 of 29
SteveMDennis

Folks,

The reason the relationship folder is open is because in your past release your constraint folder was open.

The relationship folder is the exact same folder that we used to have just renamed and displayed all the time. If you never used modeling view in the browser you never saw the constraint folder and realized it was open. We remember the expansion state of all browser entries.

If you specifically close the constraint folder in 2013 and force a save (just closing the browser item doesn't dirty the assembly) then open in 2014 it will no longer "default" to open.

If you close it in 2014 and then save the assembly it should not be open next time you use that same view rep (that is where we save the browser states).

Hope this helps.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: SteveMDennis

@SteveMDennis wrote:

Folks,

The reason the relationship folder is open is because in your past release your constraint folder was open.

The relationship folder is the exact same folder that we used to have just renamed and displayed all the time.

I'm guessing theres no way to not display it all the time.

If you never used modeling view in the browser you never saw the constraint folder and realized it was open. We remember the expansion state of all browser entries.

If you specifically close the constraint folder in 2013 and force a save (just closing the browser item doesn't dirty the assembly) then open in 2014 it will no longer "default" to open.

If you close it in 2014 and then save the assembly it should not be open next time you use that same view rep (that is where we save the browser states).

If my view rep is locked (all of mine are), i have to unlock, close relationships folder, and then lock view again. Now do this for hundreds of reps.

Hope this helps.

Message 12 of 29
krystianwiatr
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Guys,

do you know if this issue was resolved, or how to deal with this for time being ? I agree, this is very annoying and redundant feature. I liked how it was handeled in 2012 release, that you could switch to modeling view if you needed to see all contraints on the asembly. Now, it just drives me crazy that I need to close folder every time I change view rep.

Win7 64-bit Intel i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
8Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2016
Message 13 of 29

To "fix" this you need to get your view rep to save while the relationship folder is CLOSED.

Than that view rep will always remember that that folder in the browser is closed.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 14 of 29
mcgyvr

@SteveMDennis wrote:

To "fix" this you need to get your view rep to save while the relationship folder is CLOSED.

Than that view rep will always remember that that folder in the browser is closed.

To "fix" this Autodesk should release a fix to ONLY display the relationship folder when "model view" is selected like it used to be. 

Is there a logical reason as to why that folder is now show in both "assembly view" and "model view"?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 15 of 29
SteveMDennis
in reply to: mcgyvr

I am only a developer but that decision was made as part of the 2014 assembly changes. Our UX team decided that with Joints etc. that folder needed to be more readily available.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 29
mcgyvr

I've noticed there are some registry entities with "relationship" in the name.. Any chance there is a registry setting to hide that folder or do something to "fix" this BAD DECISION?

Can an application option be added to give users the choice?

Something..please..

Its like having a giant "prompt" that comes up anytime I open an assembly now that I have NO interest in seeing and am forced to take action on before I can do anything beneficial.. But atleast with prompts I can turn them off. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 17 of 29
SteveMDennis
in reply to: mcgyvr

There is nothing in the registry to change this behavior. All I can do is direct our UX department to take another look at this.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous

@SteveMDennis wrote:

There is nothing in the registry to change this behavior. All I can do is direct our UX department to take another look at this.

In other words... get used to it because it's not changing!

Message 19 of 29
Orest_iy

This annoying Relationship folder already made a bad mood by being opened and closing all browser

in mid to big assemblies.It opens every time and does not "remember" I have closed it dozens times.

I am only about an hour behind the Inventor 2014

The good idea but so clumsy bug in the Browser.What is a reason of settling this folder in Browser?

Orest

Message 20 of 29
Orest_iy

"I am only a developer but that decision was made as part of the 2014 assembly changes. Our UX team decided that with Joints etc. that folder needed to be more readily available"

Steve,

It seems like you dealt with just few parts in assemblies making this lame decision. This folder occupies all my browser all over down in most of my mid to big assemblies. I should close it every time. I am thinking to stay on my 2012 until it will be fixed.

Orest

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report