Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Property in an idw

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
AvvyD
1206 Views, 12 Replies

Assembly Property in an idw

I want to create Leader Text that has a few assembly properties.

Whenever I try this, the leader displays the properties of the part, not the assembly.

If the note has no leader, it doesn't display any property.

If I add a property to the title block, it shows up just fine, but that isn't what I want.

I feel that this should be really easy, but I'm just not seeing how to do this.

I'm using IV 2014.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Cadmanto
in reply to: AvvyD

Welcome to the forum.

When you are placing your note, which type are you selecting?  Should ne the model properties.

properties.jpg

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 13
AvvyD
in reply to: Cadmanto

That is what I am selecting.

Message 4 of 13
Cadmanto

Ok, and after you select the correct property from the property drop down you are selecting this button to populate the text with this property?

properties.jpg

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 13
AvvyD
in reply to: Cadmanto

Yes.

And it populates with part properties, not assembly properties.  Whatever component the leader is attached to is what is related to the note.  I want it to bring up the assembly information, not the information from a part within the assembly.

Message 6 of 13
mdavis22569

The problem is the assembly is set to break down to the part level if he uses it ... He could make a custom one that populates with the name of the assembly and then pick the custom property

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
swalton

I don't think that Leader Text can access assembly or sub-assembly properties.  There is an Idea Station request to change that behavior. 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Improve-Leader-Text-to-Pull-Subassembly-iProperti...

You might give a kudos to this and help move it up the developer's priority list.

You might add a comment there that references this thread too.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 8 of 13
brendan.henderson

What assembly properties are you trying to bring through?

As the others have said you can't use a leader for this. But you may be able to use a sketched symbol to acheive your goal.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 9 of 13

I think this could be done via a custom Iprop that is then set in the leader Mike

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
AvvyD
in reply to: mdavis22569

Thank you Brendan, I don't think that would work in this situation.

I want my notes to show project iproperties, like stock number, vendor and so on.

Thank you Swalton, I bumped it!

michaeldavis7418, I made a rule that drove some paramaters I just created.  It allows me to put them in my note, and they'll update automatically.  Is this what you meant, or is there an easier way?

Message 11 of 13
AvvyD

So, the rule I created allows me to note assembly parameters doesn't work as intended.
If more than one configuration of the assembly is on a print, the note will read the same for all configurations.
ie,

Part_Number =iProperties.Value("Project", "Part Number")

every assembly that shows "Part_Number" that is from the same parent file has the same information, even if the data table reads otherwise...

Suggestions?
Message 12 of 13
AvvyD

and now it's half working...

Message 13 of 13
Jefkee

Hi,

I was looking for the same thing.

What i did was make a new balloon style that shows the DESCRIPTION instead of ITEM NR.

Keep inmind, when you unfold the partslist to part level, it will show the description of the part.

Works fine for me where i needed it.

Balloon description.PNG

Inventor 2013

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report