Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly problem....

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
113 Views, 2 Replies

Assembly problem....

I have created an assembly in Inventor, and everything seems to have come out right except for one thing, which I will attempt to explain: the assembled project is not parallel with any axis. For example, when I use the 'common view' method of rotation, and choose a side view, the assembly is rotated so as to be tilted, instead of showing the side of the assembly, such as what would be shown if I were to use the 'look at' command, and clicked on the side of the assembly. I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone, but hopefully there is a person whom can interpret it into some type of logical statement, and be able to assist me. The reason I need to know this is I was planning on using the program to calculate the center of gravity of the assembly, which is an ATV trailer, and want to know where to place the axle. Obviously, I cannot really use the coordinates the program gives me (with any ease, anyway) if the assembly is not properly coordinated on the grid system, especially if there is no grid shown in the assembly file.

Thanks for your time.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Unground the grounded part and constrain its origin planes to the Assembly origin planes.
Then I generally reground it and delete the constraints. Most likely you have used the
rotate tool at some time or another in this file.

--
Kent
Assistant Moderator
Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"speciman_A" wrote in message news:f1550e0.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I have created an assembly in Inventor, and everything seems to have come out right
except for one thing, which I will attempt to explain: the assembled project is not
parallel with any axis. For example, when I use the 'common view' method of rotation, and
choose a side view, the assembly is rotated so as to be tilted, instead of showing the
side of the assembly, such as what would be shown if I were to use the 'look at' command,
and clicked on the side of the assembly. I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone, but
hopefully there is a person whom can interpret it into some type of logical statement, and
be able to assist me. The reason I need to know this is I was planning on using the
program to calculate the center of gravity of the assembly, which is an ATV trailer, and
want to know where to place the axle. Obviously, I cannot really use the coordinates the
program gives me (with any ease, anyway) if the assembly is not properly coordinated on
the grid system, especially if there is no grid shown in the assembly file.
> Thanks for your time.
>
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Kent's solution should take care of your issue. For the future be aware
that using the Move Component or Rotate Component tools on grounded
parts will permanently change their origin relationship to the assembly
origin. The only way to restore that relationship will be with
constraints between the part origin and the assembly origin.

I know this has caused a headache or two around here.

--
Hal Gwin
Mechanical Designer
Xenogen

Dell Precision 650
Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon
1.5 GB DDR
Quadro4 900 XGL
nVidia 6.14.10.4201 drivers
Dell UltraSharp 19" LCD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report