Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Mirror Loses Constraints

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
EABell
1455 Views, 5 Replies

Assembly Mirror Loses Constraints

I placeand fully constrain two components in an assembly them mirror them. To my supriise, the mirror parts are not constrained. I grab them and move them anywhere I want. This doesn't seem right. I closed without saving, reopened and grounded the mirrored componets. Live and learn. Anybody else seen this?
Ed
AIS9 SP2
Dell M50
XP Professional SP 2
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: EABell

Yes We have also observed the same
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Sorry to say, you aren't alone 😞
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Constraints do not carry over. Best practice is to ground parts post mirror in order to keep desired location. Hopefully Autodesk will address this issue with I-10.

JoeBo
Application Engineer
Ideate Inc.
SF, Ca
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

I'm working in Inventor 11 & I have the same problem when I mirror component (sub-assy) fully constraint & the mirrored component looses the constraints.

Do anyone have an answer?
Serge J
Message 6 of 6
steve.west

Yes, I have had this problem too. While working on a particularly large assembly (some 3500 parts) some of the mirrored parts in the very first assembly somehow got moved (even without opening that particular assembly). Subsequently the errors propagated through the whole job as parts where contrained or adaptive to those parts or related parts also moved and the whole model fell over.

It was a couple of days work to isolate and repair the problem parts (by adding additional contraints to reposition them), then finding that more parts in other assemblies then also moved, nightmare.

Now I know about grounding the mirror parts to prevent this (thanks) I will give that a go and hope Autodesk resolve the issue.

I always assumed that when you mirrored a part it created a mirror contraint with the original part.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report