Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Mass not updating and showing N/A

43 REPLIES 43
SOLVED
Message 1 of 44
ColinReeve
8718 Views, 43 Replies

Assembly Mass not updating and showing N/A

Hi,

I've got an assembly which I am trying to show the mass of in the idw. Normally this is an easy thing to do, Insert text - Select Physical properties in the type list box, Mass in the property and hit the X to insert.

If at this point it shows N/A I normally go into the Iproperties of the IAM, Physical Tab, and click update. Presto I get the mass from Ipropoerties showing in the idw. This is not the case this time. Sometimes I need to go into the BOM, and then do a Mass Update. However, as per the attached screen shots, all the masses are displaying OK, but the IDW is still not showing the Mass of the IAM. 

As a note, if I use Leaders to point to individual items in the idw, and select Mass that the individual parts Mass will display.

Anything else I need to check?

Screenshot 2014-08-29 10.42.29.jpgScreenshot 2014-08-29 10.42.45.jpg

kelly.young has embedded your images for clarity.

43 REPLIES 43
Message 2 of 44
blair
in reply to: ColinReeve

Try this method. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-community-knowledge/showing-the-model-density-weight-in-the-t...

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 44

Hi,

Did you try the method suggested by blair. Do you still need assistance on this. Please let me know.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 4 of 44

Hi,

I have implemented a template sheet with the set the event triggers on for all events. I'm running 2015, so those instructions are a little different, but I got there. My Weight in air now shows 0kg, and never updates.

Message 5 of 44

Good to know Colin. Let me know, if i can help.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 6 of 44

What I mean by that is, it does not show the actual weight yet, and never moves off 0kg. So no it does not work as yet.

Message 7 of 44
ColinReeve
in reply to: ColinReeve

Spent some more time on this, and I've found the problem.

Your iLogic code works. I set up the template file, and did a new drawing with it, and on save it updated the weight. Hurray.

What I had done before, was use the "Drawing Resource Transfer Wizard" in the tools, and copy the new template across onto the old drawings, and then I carried on working inside those drawings. When I do this the weight still does not update. On checking the iLogic Browser, I see the rules, and event triggering are not there. So the resource transfer wizard does not work with iLogic Rules. So I can't update my old drawings to the new template.

Should this go under another thread, as its definitely not working?

I also have to thank you, as that small snippet of code, allowed me to figure out how to make a "Weight in Air", and "Weight in Water" calculation. Which is great as I have been meaning to figure this one out.

Message 8 of 44

Can you log a new thread on drawing resource transfer wizard. We will take a look at it as early as possible.Glad to hear you got it working.

Vinod Balasubramanian

Message 9 of 44

Autodesk says I do not have sufficient access to blair's solution, one thing I can add to the mystery is some .iam  give weight some give  N/A.

Message 10 of 44
blair
in reply to: jbush

I getting the same response at this time. Possibly try back in a sort while as they could be doing some maintenance on the system.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 44
flyinganser
in reply to: blair

The link says "Access Denied".

Just wondering has a new solution emerged in the intervening years since this was first posted?

I'm facing the same problem with an extra twist - with Vault.  Specifically with Job Processor.

Prior to a drawing being checked-in into Vault (and released), I make sure the physical properties are updated on the drawing.  The visualization file when opened from Vault confirmed this.  However, when Job Server synced the files the idw then displays an "N/A" in the mass properties field.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Hung

Message 12 of 44
johnsonshiue
in reply to: flyinganser

Hi! Usually, this means Inventor has trouble evaluating mass prop for one of the components. I don't think this should be Vault related. Have you located the exact component which shows N/A in mass prop? If yes, could you share with us (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 44
llorden4
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I too am having this issue, I can rule out Vault as the cause as we've not installed it at this time.

I believe it's related to the level of detail as I have some features suppressed in the model.  Since while in the assembly model I have to select Yes/No on a mass property update based upon the level of detail for the mass properties to update, I don't get such a prompt in a DWG or IDW drawing and I believe that's where Inventor is getting stuck with how to process the mass properties value of the model.

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Message 14 of 44
mjc_design
in reply to: llorden4

I am also suffering from this issue, has it been solved yet? Can't access the link to the solution either, as access is still denied.

Message 15 of 44
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mjc_design

Hi! The behavior is usually files specific. Please share an example here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 44
kamacid9QADE

Hi all. I just came over similar problem (again). The difference is that this was a part drawing mass that would not update. The part has mass of 0.701 kg, and drawing was showing 0.0 (set up to 1 decimal place). We are using this part in a simple assembly. In assembly, BOM table was showing mass and density as 0, despite the fact that part was assigned with a material and actually had both info. We manually had override the mass with 0.7 kg value, saved part and updated drawing. Drawing showed the mass value now. We then got back to the part, deleted manual input and updated part. The mass in the part was updated to old mass of 0.701 kg. We saved the part. We updated the drawing and drawing was showing 0.7 kg. We updated an assembly and checked the model BOM. Now, the bom had both info in, density and mass. 

Hope this can helps someone.

Message 17 of 44
johnsonshiue
in reply to: kamacid9QADE

Hi! The behavior does not sound right to me. It is a file specific issue. Please share an example exhibiting the behavior. You may want to start a new thread, since it may not be the same issue as this old resolved issue.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 18 of 44
Cris-Ideas

Hi,

I have the same problem sometimes with MASS being displayed in sketched symbol.

Problem I found is for some reason sketch symbol iProperty field is not updating sometimes even if I have mass value properly calculated in the assembly, assembly is properly saved and drawing update is performed.

What I found is that in such situation sketched symbol on the sheet needs double click and than it updates suddenly.

This is strange and hardly reproducible but existing.

Cris.

Cris,
https://simply.engineering
Message 19 of 44
kamacid9QADE

Hi, sorry for taking a long time to reply, its very busy at this end.

Here are the screenshots of the part and drawing.

mass update - part.JPGpart info.jpg

kelly.young has embedded your image for clarity.

Message 20 of 44
johnsonshiue
in reply to: kamacid9QADE

Hi! The images seem to indicate the issue is about the mass prop of the target part. The mass prop indeed does exist in the part file. But, it is not properly referenced in the drawing. As a result, the value is not captured. I need to see the actual ipt, iam, and idw files. The images do not help me identify the problem clearly. Please zip them up and attach it here.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report