Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly into a assembly question

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
MichelleRaley
497 Views, 5 Replies

Assembly into a assembly question

I have an assembly file with 3 assembly files in it. The problem is when I place my .iam flies in there, they become whole parts. Example. I have a assembly of a boat motor. In it I have a drive constraint which turns the propellor 360 / 300 times.

When I placed the motor into the boat assembly. The motor because one part and I couldn't get my drive contraint to work.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: MichelleRaley

Typically we refer to assemblies in assemblies as "sub-assemblies"

And you need to right click on those sub-assemblies and choose "flexible"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 6
MichelleRaley
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks, I've already tried that, though. It had no effect except on my angle con. on the propellor. When I right click it I no longer have the option to use the drive con.

When I remove the flexability and add adaptive instead. I can click click my drive con on my angle con and hit play but I get an error "Cannot solve at (or near) this point. Check drive parameters and adaptivity settings

Message 4 of 6
rdyson
in reply to: MichelleRaley

See attached.

Create a pos rep in the motor subassembly that supresses the angular constraint

In the assembly, make that pos rep active and the sub flexible

Add a constraint between the prop and the boat or the assembly origin, as appropriate

Drive this new constraint

PDSU 2016
Message 5 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: rdyson

yeah sorry I didn't add that the drive constraint needs to be applied in the upper level assembly and not the subassy.

Tthe subassy still needs to be set as flexible as I first posted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 6
MichelleRaley
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thank yawl very much. My propeller is spinning!!!  Woman Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report