Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly help

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
jwford2912
688 Views, 14 Replies

Assembly help

I have downloaded Inventor and i cant do an assemby. I have looked everywhere and cant find it. I also have a problem everytime i try to put my CAD drawing into inventor the programs closes.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JesperPhoenix
in reply to: jwford2912

Press the little arrow next to the question mark in top right corner in Inventor. Choose Learning Tools - Getting Startet. See attached picture for further details.

Hope this helps

Message 3 of 15
JDMather

What version of Inventor?

Did you install with UAC and anti-virus temporarily disabled?

Have you installed all Service Packs and Updates?

Is this the first time you have run Inventor - how much experience do you have?

Do you have prior experience making Inventor assemblies (*.iam) files?

Can you post screen captures?

What are your system specs?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 15
jwford2912
in reply to: JDMather

I have not worked with Inventor but I have worked with SolidWorks. But if i got the LT package deal does that mean i dont get to do asssemblies?

Message 5 of 15
mcgyvr

LT doesn't do assemblies. (iam files)

http://www.autodesk.com/products/inventor-lt-family/compare/compare-products

Personally I find the fact that they put "large assembly design" in there vs "assembly design" confusing. 

One might assume a "small assembly" could be done. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 15
jwford2912
in reply to: mcgyvr

Well thats pretty lame... but im still haveing a problem with even making parts. Inventor likes to keep crashing on me and my computer which is in the attachment showing that it should be able to make at least that. and how can i get the assembly if LT doesnt come with it

Message 7 of 15
JDMather

@jwford2912 wrote:

Well thats pretty lame... .... and how can i get the assembly if LT doesnt come with it

Explain the logic of how that is "pretty lame".  LT is a fraction of the cost of the full version. How much does SolidWorks LT cost? (trick question)

You can use Multi-body Solids techniques, same as SolidWorks and later push out the individual parts on full version.

So, you could have many seats of cheaper LT and one seat of full version to push out the assemblies.

Rather than "pretty lame" solution, sounds like a real cost saver to me for companies that need multiple seats for multiple users.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 15
mcgyvr

@jwford2912 wrote:

and how can i get the assembly if LT doesnt come with it

Buy full Inventor.. 

As to why its crashing..

Do you get any error messages/crash report dialog? (if crash dialog are you submitting it with your email address)..

Have you tried to update your graphics card drivers?

What settings do you have under tools...application options..hardware tab.  (try lowering to conservative and check software graphics then restart Inventor and see if it still crashes)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 9 of 15
jwford2912
in reply to: mcgyvr

Im saying it is lame because assembly is a feature I wanted. It is a feature that i needed but when the program was bought by the owner they didnt realize they would have to read fine print or be misleaded into thinking that assembly would come with it. so therefore putting me in a lame situation, and i have to buy the entire invetnor program which then makes it so im not saving.

Message 10 of 15
jwford2912

I also set the settings in inventor on concervitive, and I have sumbited the crash errors and this is a new computer to where the graphics card should be updated. The only thing i can think is that its only 8Gb ram which is the minumium to run the program

Message 11 of 15
JDMather

@jwford2912 wrote:

...The only thing i can think is that its only 8Gb ram which is the minumium to run the program

I am running full version fine on 8GB RAM.

8 Gig.PNG

Message 12 of 15
mcgyvr

@jwford2912 wrote:

I also set the settings in inventor on concervitive, and I have sumbited the crash errors and this is a new computer to where the graphics card should be updated. The only thing i can think is that its only 8Gb ram which is the minumium to run the program

NEVER assume drivers are up to date on a new computer.. I bought an HP "workstation" years ago that had numerous drivers that were 3-4 years old. 

I've run Inventor on old laptops with WAY below the recommended RAM,etc... without any problems. 

I would suggest updating drivers as I said before. 

Hopefully someone from Autodesk would be kind enough to respond to this post and give the details from your crash report to assist in fixing this issue. 

Message 13 of 15
JDMather

@jwford2912 wrote:
... theydidnt realize they would have to read fine print .....

For future reference - most (if not all) Autodesk products can be downloaded and installed in a 30-day trial mode before purchase.
This allows the inexperienced purchaser time to do a "due-diligence" check of functionality.

I think this holds true for most software in the 21st century.

Message 14 of 15
jwford2912
in reply to: JDMather

alrighty I will check out some hard drives and hopefully that will work!

Message 15 of 15
JDMather

You can do pseudo-assemblies in LT by using multi-body solids master modeling.

Then start a new part file for each component and on the Manage Tab use the Derived Component to pull each solid body from the master file. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report