Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
oneloosecrank
Message 1 of 38 (414 Views)

assembly constraints and other Qs

414 Views, 37 Replies
10-05-2013 06:42 AM

Hi all, 

First off - my questions are of the fairly basic variety and I seem to be amongst rather more complex queries. Is this the best place for me or is there a 'beginners' area?

Questions then; I'm assembling a number of components and my first project is coming along quite well. It is a fulll suspension bicycle frame. The rear wheel is suspended from the frame by two pairs of linkages. Now, I've got my constraints sorted (axis and faces) to have the links located where I want them but when I move the linkages, they push the frame around as well rather than simply spin on the axis. The links are also constrained to move in tandem by way of constrained axis. How can I make the frame a 'fixed' entity with everything moving around it, or the constraint?

Next, I've got a lot of unwanted things in my workspace that I'm struggling to hide / remove. Dimensions on the link (I've tried going into the sketch but they won't delete from there), a worklplane I don't really want to be looking at and yellow lines which I think are the from a 'sweep' extrude. How do I go about cleaning up the assembly?

Finally, if you look at the attached project, you'll see that I need a rear triangle which will be the hardest thing I've started on because of it's depth (both sides will be of a single structure so I can't design one side then mirror it). Could you give me a hand with the best direction to approach this from?

With thanks

*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 2 of 38 (392 Views)

Re: assembly constraints and other Qs

10-05-2013 08:48 AM in reply to: oneloosecrank

You need to have at least one component "Grounded". In this case the frame might be the best choice. Simply RMB on the frame either in the assembly window of browser window and select "Ground Component".

The sketch looks like it's a uncomsumed sketch in the component. You should be able to open the part and delete the sketch in the browser window.

You can either RMB on the work plane and toggle it's visibility on/off or on a global scale for the assembly from the View>Visibility>User Work Planes.

If you give some thought as to how the triangular link is going to be made in real life it would give you some insight into how to model it in IV.

If it is going to be machined from a solid block of aluminum, you could simply extrude a primary shape the overall thickness of this part and then "machine" (sketch-extrude-cut) sections out of the block to get your part.

You could create one side/half of the part and mirror the other side.

If it is made up of smaller parts, create a sub-assembly with one side part, derive/mirror the part for the other side if they are LH and RH with a couple of connecting parts.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 SP1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 r1 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 340.52
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 3 of 38 (386 Views)

10-05-2013 08:50 AM in reply to: oneloosecrank

oneloosecrank wrote:
... Could you give me a hand with the best direction to approach this from?

With thanks

Attach your assembly here.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Active Contributor
oneloosecrank
Message 4 of 38 (377 Views)

10-05-2013 09:07 AM in reply to: JDMather

Assembly attached. The 'grounded' aspect looks to be thing I need. However Inventor is having an issue and wants to redefine a plane? Not sure what this means.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 5 of 38 (371 Views)

10-05-2013 10:11 AM in reply to: oneloosecrank

An assembly file (*.iam) is only a list of hyperlinks to the part files (*.ipt) and a record of assembly constraints (and a bit more).

You must include the part files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Active Contributor
oneloosecrank
Message 6 of 38 (351 Views)

10-06-2013 12:07 AM in reply to: oneloosecrank
Active Contributor
oneloosecrank
Message 7 of 38 (350 Views)

10-06-2013 12:09 AM in reply to: oneloosecrank
Active Contributor
oneloosecrank
Message 8 of 38 (350 Views)

10-06-2013 12:13 AM in reply to: oneloosecrank

That's all the part files and the assembly.

Active Contributor
oneloosecrank
Message 9 of 38 (345 Views)

10-06-2013 12:54 AM in reply to: blair

blair wrote:

If you give some thought as to how the triangular link is going to be made in real life it would give you some insight into how to model it in IV.

If it is going to be machined from a solid block of aluminum, you could simply extrude a primary shape the overall thickness of this part and then "machine" (sketch-extrude-cut) sections out of the block to get your part.

You could create one side/half of the part and mirror the other side.

If it is made up of smaller parts, create a sub-assembly with one side part, derive/mirror the part for the other side if they are LH and RH with a couple of connecting parts.

Well, it would be made up of three machined parts and four beams all welded together. I started out this morning with a large box which would encompass the whole rear end of the frame and started cutting in to it but I don't think I can go much further. It's not going to be the right approach as various parts aren't symetrical. So... I'll have to take your advice on creating a sub assembly and make each machined part individually. I should be able to make one side and then mirror it. 

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 10 of 38 (331 Views)

10-06-2013 04:01 AM in reply to: oneloosecrank

Before I spend a lot of time on this - how dedicated/serious are you about finishing the project?

Is it a school assignment that is due Friday?

The reason I ask, is it seems as soon as I spend a couple of hours helping someone they disappear.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.