Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

assembly constraints and other Qs

37 REPLIES 37
Message 1 of 38
oneloosecrank
1357 Views, 37 Replies

assembly constraints and other Qs

Hi all, 

First off - my questions are of the fairly basic variety and I seem to be amongst rather more complex queries. Is this the best place for me or is there a 'beginners' area?

Questions then; I'm assembling a number of components and my first project is coming along quite well. It is a fulll suspension bicycle frame. The rear wheel is suspended from the frame by two pairs of linkages. Now, I've got my constraints sorted (axis and faces) to have the links located where I want them but when I move the linkages, they push the frame around as well rather than simply spin on the axis. The links are also constrained to move in tandem by way of constrained axis. How can I make the frame a 'fixed' entity with everything moving around it, or the constraint?

Next, I've got a lot of unwanted things in my workspace that I'm struggling to hide / remove. Dimensions on the link (I've tried going into the sketch but they won't delete from there), a worklplane I don't really want to be looking at and yellow lines which I think are the from a 'sweep' extrude. How do I go about cleaning up the assembly?

Finally, if you look at the attached project, you'll see that I need a rear triangle which will be the hardest thing I've started on because of it's depth (both sides will be of a single structure so I can't design one side then mirror it). Could you give me a hand with the best direction to approach this from?

With thanks

37 REPLIES 37
Message 21 of 38
JDMather
in reply to: oneloosecrank

We will be able to use some of what you have already done, but for the foundation I want to start from scratch.

Start a new part file and create the sketch as shown.

(Note the 3° and the 91°.)

If you want to change these - change them now.

Save the file as Bike Frame Master.ipt

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 22 of 38
oneloosecrank
in reply to: JDMather

I'll get along to following instructions soon - hopefully at the weekend.
Full time job is currently bleeding into nearly all my down time.
Cheers 🙂
Message 23 of 38
JDMather

I went ahead and completed some of it - notice use of multiple solids (expand Solids Bodies folder at top of browers and turn off visibility showing only one at a time.

Notice use of Sketch Block that I can test kimematics (drag sketch 5) (I would actually do the entire master as sketch blocks before creating any solid geometry - but I thought that might get a little confusing).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 24 of 38
oneloosecrank

Ffor the puposes of this instructional, do you need me to stick to the measurements you are using in your creations? Will it mess things up if I use the measurements from the mule?

Message 25 of 38
JDMather

change to your dimensions - you left most everything undimensioned - so I was making things up along the way.

What I couldn't figure out - a lot of stuff I dimensioned on yours was perfect size, but no dimensions?  You must have erased the dimensions. Why?  Are you aware that you can simply double click on dimensions to change?  Are you aware that you can hide dimensions if the become obtrusive?  No need to delete - just creating extra work (and danger of making unitended edits) if you delete them.

EESignature

Message 26 of 38
oneloosecrank

I've been trying to keep the workspace tidy by keeping only the things I actually want present, hiding them or turning them off may very well be the better way of doing 🙂 

Well, this eve I've created an accuratly dimensioned sketch and begun to extrude the lines into tubes using a workplace at the line nodes. I'm a bit stuck because Sketch 1 has been consumed by an extrude, and I don't seem to be able to share it to extrude the final parts.

Sorry if it's taken a while to post up this stage, the free time I have to learn a CAD is sparse.

Message 27 of 38

Needed to tick visibility, now I'm extruding away happily

Message 28 of 38
rdyson

Sketch1 is already shared, just make it visible and you're good to go.

PDSU 2016
Message 29 of 38
oneloosecrank
in reply to: rdyson

This is where I've gotten up to recently, I only have one body made from many extrudes, and the sketch for the main link (labelled). It won't extrude because of a self intersecting loop, which I can't see from looking at it. What will be the next step? 

Cheers

Message 30 of 38
JDMather

Edit your sketch block and zoom in here (see image) with Constraint visibility On.

You need to use

you need to use

you need to use constraints, constraints, geometry constraints.  (you are missing a bunch of tangents).

I recommend you put this project aside for a day or two and go through these -

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=HELP_TUTORIALS&language=ENU&release=2014&product=Inve...

it will save you time and frustration.

Did I mention using geometry constraints?

Once you learn the sketcher - most of this work is done for you automatically by Inventor.

EESignature

Message 31 of 38
oneloosecrank

Bah. Those links and all their sublinks would take me a year to read and digest. I have read the one you wrote up though, and have been browsing / reading various pages on the Wiki site. I understand that you probably want me to start with something smalle than this project, but I'd like to use this and learn the aspects of Inventor through it. 

Could you advise me on a workflow? I'm thinking along the lines of:

1) sketch out the location of the pivot points in a 2d sketch.

2) Contrain to check it works

3) turn sketch components into blocks

4) extrude blocks

etc

The above plan isn't what I've followed so far, but what I've picked up should be my approach. Then I can go away and research each stage and come back with any particular queries.

Cheers

Message 32 of 38
JDMather

Just go in there and edit your block add the tangents and make sure the arcs are trimmed correctly.

Dimension your arcs.

At this point you should have enough experience to aviod little errors like that I circled in red, or when an error like that creeps in, you should be able to easily see it (with Constraint Visibility turned on).

EESignature

Message 33 of 38
oneloosecrank

Yeah, I seem to have made the mistake of having nodes not touching where they need to on a few occassions. I hope I've got that issue solved now. 

So, frame is dimensioned. link arcs dimensioned. I think all the constraints are present - though many of them are from auto constraint. Where to now?

Message 34 of 38

Hey, I Have a question in the assembly, how can I constraint some parts in a specific plane, I need that some parts have rotation, and desplacements but 2d desplacement no 3D how can I do that?

Thanks 

Constrain an element to a plane in an assembly
Message 35 of 38
JDMather
in reply to: Julianortegaic

Start a new thread and attach your assembly.

EESignature

Message 36 of 38
Julianortegaic

How can i cr?ate a new thread?

ist my first time here, tahnks

AVISO LEGAL: La informaci?n enviada en este mensaje electr?nico es confidencial y solo para uso de la persona/compa??a identificada en el mismo. Si el receptor de este mensaje no es la persona de destino mencionada, cualquier divulgaci?n, distribuci?n y/o copia de la informaci?n contenida en este mensaje electr?nico, se encuentra estrictamente prohibida. Si usted recibe este mensaje por error, por favor notifique al emisor del mismo de inmediato.
Message 37 of 38

Could i create a new thread and attach my assembly? 

thanks i´m new here 

Message 38 of 38
JDMather
in reply to: Julianortegaic

Upper left corner of screen.

New Message.PNG

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report