Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly BOM Different When inserted into drawing

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
426 Views, 6 Replies

Assembly BOM Different When inserted into drawing

I have several assemblies with more than one Level of Detail each.  Using selective Levels of Detail, I have combined them into a top assembly and imported this into a drawing.  I want the BOM to show only each sub-assembly as a single line, and not as multiple lines showing every part in every sub-assembly.  However, Inventor wants to break down every sub-assembly in the BOM into its separate parts, creating a massive BOM that I don't need.  I think this is a fairly simple fix, but I can't find it.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
coreyparks
in reply to: Anonymous

There can be 2 things I can think of off the top of head.  First when you go to balloon the assemblies and it brings up the dialog box you need to select structured instead of parts only.  Parts only ignores your assemblies and subassemblies.  Second, if you have any of those assemblies set as Phantom for their BOM structure the sub assembly will be ignored when ballooning and the chils parts will be called out instead.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 3 of 7
mcgyvr

There could be a few things..

A sub marked as "phantom" will push all its components into the upper level bom or it could just be that you are creating a "structured" or really an indented BOM/parts list. 

When you first start to place your parts list you should have an option of "first level only" or "all levels"

Open the bom in the assembly and go to view options..view properties

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks for your reply. In the BOM, one of my sub-assemblies is set at
Phantom. How do I change it to Normal?

Steve Baldridge

3D Modeler/Drafter

Hydro Engineering, Inc.

801-972-1181 x142

web:www.hydroblaster.com

email: sbaldridge@hydroblaster.com

Adobe Systems
Message 5 of 7
coreyparks

open the offending sub assembly go to Document settings, Bill of materials Tab and change the default BOM structure to Normal.  This can also be done form inside you top level assembly that contains the sub by editing the BOM and chamging the BOM structure from there.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

I'm not quite there yet, but that was a good place to start. Thank you for
the help.

Steve Baldridge

3D Modeler/Drafter

Hydro Engineering, Inc.

801-972-1181 x142

Adobe Systems
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Using your and other comments, I think I've got the problem solved. Thanks
for your help.

Steve Baldridge

3D Modeler/Drafter

Hydro Engineering, Inc.

801-972-1181 x142

Adobe Systems

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report