Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assemblies display "Welded Aluminum" for Material in Part list

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
gordon.rogers
952 Views, 2 Replies

Assemblies display "Welded Aluminum" for Material in Part list

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone has had this happen to them. In our part list we have a column for Material, ipt's display the material and iam's display blank expect for a few instances that display Welded Aluminum-6061(see attachment). These assemblies are all steel and not weldments. What would cause this and how can it be fixed?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
coreyparks
in reply to: gordon.rogers

What version of Inventor are you running and did you just recently upgrade?  It was either 2010 or 2011 I think where this first started to appear.  When you have an assembly created as a weldment in older versions nothing would show up in the BOM but in newer versions the physical material of the weld shows up there now.  I would have to guess that those parts are weldment assemblies and the default material used for welds is aluminum.  This caused us to scrap over $30,000 in parts at one place I used to work at and caused a lot of head aches as one of the engineers made every assemly he ever created a weldment. 

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 3 of 3
gordon.rogers
in reply to: coreyparks

Hi Corey, thanks for replying. We are using 2013 and on subscription so we get the latest version every year. I started here in 2011 and it was happening then and most of these assemblies, if not all, were done in 2007 or before when they switched from Autocad to Inventor. I'm making new assemblies that contain these .iam parts so this might be a bug that has been carried over from previous issues of Inventor. I guess the easiest way to fix this is to make new .iam's. Is that what you did? Its not costing us any money other than the time of changing the material.

Thanks

Gordon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report