Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assemblies and drawings not updating

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
DRoam
13858 Views, 11 Replies

Assemblies and drawings not updating

I've searched all over google and this forum for a solution to this problem and can't find one.

My issue is that whenever I edit a sub-assembly or a part within an assembly, whether it's from within the assembly by right clicking and choosing "edit" or by opening the sub-assembly/part and editing it separetely, once I return to the top assembly, it does not update constraints to reflect the changes. Say I constrain the top of a part to be flush with something in the assembly. Then I edit the part and make it shorter. Once I return to the assembly, the part has shortened but it is no longer flush as it was meant to be. It is lower with respect to the plane it should be flush to. If I double-click the "flush" constraint and then click the check mark, it's like it reminds Inventor the constraint is there and the part hops up where it should be.

Is there any way I can click an "update" button or something so Inventor automatically checks for part changes and re-constrains everything after I make changes to sub-assemblies or parts? I found a "Refresh" button and added it to my Quick Access Toolbar, but it does absolutely nothing.

I often have the same issue with sheets in my .idw files; they do not update once I edit a .ipn or another view in the sheet. Is there a similar solution for this instance as well?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
RobJV
in reply to: DRoam

Should do it by itself but try Manage -> Rebuild All.

Message 3 of 12
LT.Rusty

Try hitting rebuild all and / or update.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi DRoam,

A couple of things come to mind.

Do you have a lot of adaptive parts in the assembly?

Also check this setting:

Tools tab > Application Options > Assembly tab > Defer Update option (turn this off if it's on)

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 12
DRoam
in reply to: RobJV

I haven't been able to test it because the issue hasn't re-occured yet, but it appears this will work, thanks!

Message 6 of 12
DRoam

Thanks all for the replies. @Curtis, I don't have very many adaptive parts in the assembly. Just many, many constraints. Also that option was turned off, thanks for the info though.

Message 7 of 12
neil.hamilton

Hello! Try this, it seemed to work.

On the drawing view rt click>edit view>level of detail> toggle this a couple times. This seemd to make the permanent model browser lightning bolts go away.

"If wishes were horses,
we'd all be eating steak!"
Message 8 of 12
mboelke

I am having the same problems with my drawings.  I create the view from an ipn and it does not update any changes that I have made in the presentation.  I've tried updating the drawing by clickimg on the Update button and it still does not update. This is not isolated to just one drawing, it will happen intermittently.

Message 9 of 12
lespinosa
in reply to: neil.hamilton

Muchas Nachas, this totally worked for me. The freaken update all sheets button doesn't always do the trick. 

Message 10 of 12
mark.clarkREDDQ

I've been having similar issues. I revise a piece part location, drawing view would not update

@DRoam wrote:

I've searched all over google and this forum for a solution to this problem and can't find one.

My issue is that whenever I edit a sub-assembly or a part within an assembly, whether it's from within the assembly by right clicking and choosing "edit" or by opening the sub-assembly/part and editing it separetely, once I return to the top assembly, it does not update constraints to reflect the changes. Say I constrain the top of a part to be flush with something in the assembly. Then I edit the part and make it shorter. Once I return to the assembly, the part has shortened but it is no longer flush as it was meant to be. It is lower with respect to the plane it should be flush to. If I double-click the "flush" constraint and then click the check mark, it's like it reminds Inventor the constraint is there and the part hops up where it should be.

Is there any way I can click an "update" button or something so Inventor automatically checks for part changes and re-constrains everything after I make changes to sub-assemblies or parts? I found a "Refresh" button and added it to my Quick Access Toolbar, but it does absolutely nothing.

I often have the same issue with sheets in my .idw files; they do not update once I edit a .ipn or another view in the sheet. Is there a similar solution for this instance as well?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Message 11 of 12

Hi Mark,

I am not sure if the issue you are seeing is the exact same issue as the original thread. Please share an example here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 12
2509612O

Encountered a similar issue and fixed it by running only 1 version of Inventor and not a second version for assembly mode. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report