Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for the impossible; Collision animation

41 REPLIES 41
Message 1 of 42
shastu
684 Views, 41 Replies

Asking for the impossible; Collision animation

Is there any way to animate one part having an affect on another. In other words as the heavier item pushes on the lighter part, the lighter part takes shape to the heavier.
41 REPLIES 41
Message 2 of 42
Anonymous
in reply to: shastu

I haven't tried it but I think it is probably doable.
Create several iterations of 2nd part in various stages of change.
Have them faded 100 percent at beginning and then fade and unfade in succession as part 1 comes in contact in studio.
Animation is all trickery based on persistence of vision so my guess is 3 or 4 different versions of part 2 would suffice.
Message 3 of 42
shastu

I'm not so sure that would work. I need to see it actually move. I need a flexible surface to surface. I guess for starters, if I could figure out out to animate a bend, I may be able to use that as part of it, or at least it would be a start. Message was edited by: shastu
Message 4 of 42
Anonymous

>I need to see it actually move.
...if I could figure out out to animate a bend...

I guess I don't understand the animation part of your question.
Message 5 of 42
shastu

Well, I am wanting to animate several bends at one time. As the material bends, the radii change and I want to see the radii changing within an avi file as the bends occur.
Message 6 of 42
R.Corriveau

I think you could do this with driving parameters or using adaptivity. I am thinking kind of like the balloon example.
Could you post what you have so far? Or post a jpeg?
Message 7 of 42
shastu

That is funny, I just downloaded the Balloon assembly to look at. Hopefully that will help me. If not, I will post mine. When you say driving parameters, are you talking about in studio, the option to animate model parameters?
Message 8 of 42
R.Corriveau

Either or.
Depends on what kind of output you are looking for.
Message 9 of 42
shastu

I think I want to use studio by driving the user parameter. I am looking at the Animate Parameters window, but can't figure out how to get it to change values.
Message 10 of 42
shastu

O.K. Here is a jpeg showing the two end results that I am looking for. I don't believe I can use adaptivity because the radii have to be dimensioned and proportioned corectly. So I must use studio, but can not get anyone to tell me how to animate a parameter and the help file...well, lets just say it is lacking detail.
Message 11 of 42
Robert 3-D

Go to tools, then application options, then the assembly tag, and clic on the last box at the bottom called contact solver.

Try to drag one object against another and see what it gives.

See attached avi
Message 12 of 42
shastu

No, Robert, that is not what I am after. Your parts are not physically changing, they are just moving. I need one part that is changing as another part pushes on it. For example, if I have an arbor and apply pressure to the center of it, the arbor is going to bow.
Message 13 of 42
R.Corriveau

Okay I did this one using adaptivity. I don't know how to get it to flat and I mocked it up rather cruedly. Let me know.
If you want the rad to not change that can be done also.
Message 14 of 42
shastu

Here is a little more detail of what I am wanting. I would start off with the top picture and animate to the second picture by the two bottom rolls pushing up on the metal. I already have it working by changing just one parameter, I just need to know how to "drive" it.
Message 15 of 42
R.Corriveau

Don't ya just love those help files?

"Specify the parameter values in the current document or any documents referenced by subassemblies.

Note: The current start value is automatically calculated based on the delta and the specified end value of the parameter and cannot be entered manually."

I take this as meaning the values cannot be change in Studio.
So. Once you select OK does it add it ot the timeline?
Message 16 of 42
shastu

Rick, Can I have the actual file to see how you did this?
Message 17 of 42
R.Corriveau

Like I said very crued.
So please don't diss the modeling practices here. But I hope it gives you an idea.
Message 18 of 42
R.Corriveau

Drive Work Plane 1 in the assembly.
Message 19 of 42
shastu

I figured it out with the help of JDMather. What I was doing wrong is setting d0 to a constant value and then named my user parameter to d0, instead of setting d0 to the name of my user parameter. So here is one way, now I am going to look back up a the bend example. Thanks so much to all of you. This is huge for me to be able to do this.
Message 20 of 42
shastu

Oh no, now it is failing. It seems like if I do it manually it works. What might be the problem here?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report