Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arrayed Holes Perpendicular to Surface of Sphere Inventor 2015

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
CJ.10E-10mm
396 Views, 4 Replies

Arrayed Holes Perpendicular to Surface of Sphere Inventor 2015

Hi,

I am trying to drill a series of blind holes perpendicularto the surface of a sphere. I have projected a set of points via an Excel spreadsheet as well as a separate set of sketch circles, which cannot be achieved by a normal circular array.

I have tried the Engrave command using sketch circles to no avail as the error message states it cannot be applied to a spherical surface.

I can obviously create a workplane on any one of the points perpendicular to the surface and create a sketch to extrude but I cannot do that 1000 times!

I have seen online videos of text engraved to a spherical surface but I cannot get my sketch circles to work.

Can anyone help me please with a solution.

Many thanks,

CJJ

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: CJ.10E-10mm

@CJ.10E-10mm wrote:

I can obviously create a workplane on any one of the points perpendicular to the surface and create a sketch to extrude but I cannot do that 1000 times!
CJJ

Why not?

In any case, I do see some patterns that can reduce the number of times you would have to do this, but there is no Easy Button solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
rdyson
in reply to: CJ.10E-10mm

This is not perfect (nor finished) but it might be close enough depending on your design intent.

It will take a while to rebuild when you move the eop to the end.

PDSU 2016
Message 4 of 5
CJ.10E-10mm
in reply to: rdyson

Hi Rdyson,

I am most grateful, thank you.

I have opened your file, moved the eop to the end and will come back to you when done.

Thank you once again.

CJJ

Message 5 of 5
CJ.10E-10mm
in reply to: rdyson

Hi again rdyson,

Your file has settled and I am indeed most grateful. As I have to be sub mm perfect in the positioning I will look at what you have done in more detail and see if I can replicate your arrays only more accurately.

I will come back to you in about 12 hours ...lol!

In the meantime thank you once again it's just the sort of response I was looking for.

CJJ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report