Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area of part in drawing BOM?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
timdown73
657 Views, 6 Replies

Area of part in drawing BOM?

Hello All,

Is it possible to have the area in sq. ft of a part (not sheet metal) in a drawing BOM?  I have a model (shelled box minus the top basically) and I just need the total area of the part to show the area of board insulation in an assembly.  [Area / 144 / thickness of board insulation] is basically what I need.  If so how? If not why?

area.JPG

-Tim U.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz>Memory: 32.0 GB Ram
Op Sys: Windows 10 professional
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: timdown73

it is possible I misinterpret your question timdown but simply speaking, as long as you can put you calculation into a custom iproperty you can add it to your bom anywhere you wish to have it displayed... just call the custom property up in your bom or parts list.
best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 3 of 7
timdown73
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

Thanks, for the reply. How do I pull the volume of the part into Excel / iproperties?
-Tim U.
Message 4 of 7
Adam.Zarate

Tim,

I basically had the same problem and found a solution that may give you some insite as well as a procedure on how to populate the iProperties.

Since this is not a sheet metal part I would use the bounding dimenstions of Length, Width and Heigth. Then find the parameter for the "Shell", from there you should be able to figure the Inside Area and using my solution you may be able to get what you need

Thanks

Message 5 of 7
timdown73
in reply to: Adam.Zarate

Thanks Adam. That's a lot of sketching and clicking especially if you are dealing with complicated geometry. At the very least I would expect Inventor to be able to give you the total area of selected faces without having to do the old "add to accumulate" area measure. Maybe I'm missing something?
-Tim U.
Message 6 of 7
Adam.Zarate

Maybe, But here is what I was refering to, I hope this is what you were
looking for.

Thank You

Adam C. Zarate
909-908-3090
Message 7 of 7
Adam.Zarate

Sorry, guess when you reply thru e-mail the attachment doesn,t show

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report