Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving parts and assemblies

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
DennisM
389 Views, 7 Replies

Archiving parts and assemblies

I would like to get some input on what others are doing for this. Thanks. Dennis
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: DennisM

I print to PDF

--
Kent
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program

"DennisM" wrote in message news:f13f6e2.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I would like to get some input on what others are doing for this. Thanks. Dennis
Message 3 of 8
MechMan_

Are you just asking about drawings or archiving models as well?

MechMan
Message 4 of 8
DennisM

So you never archive a single part or assembly? Is this the norm for doing this? How is this done and with what software? Thanks
Message 5 of 8
DennisM

Ive got an assembly that constantly has updated parts added to it. Im just trying to figure out what the best way to keep a history of these changes. Do I archive the complete assembly? Do I just print to a PDF as mentioned above? Im not really sure how I should do this. Thanks.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I print the .IDW to PDF to document the assembly. Then I Pack
and Go the .IDW, so that all referenced files (.IPN, .IAM, .IPT) are copied to a
new folder which gets ZIPped and stored with our document management
software.

Mike

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Ive
got an assembly that constantly has updated parts added to it. Im just trying
to figure out what the best way to keep a history of these changes. Do I
archive the complete assembly? Do I just print to a PDF as mentioned above? Im
not really sure how I should do this. Thanks.
Message 7 of 8
DennisM

Sounds like printing to a PDF is pretty comon. What software would I need to do this? Thanks. Dennis.
Message 8 of 8
MechMan_

I agree with Mike. P&G the top-most file (IAM or IDW) and then zip up the files and store them. Since IDW's always reflect the current model it's suggested to take a "snapshot" of the IDW to be stored. Converting it to PDF is the most common method although you can also do DWF's. Search this IV newsgroups for PDF for some info on free PDF converters. You shouldn't need to do this though if you're archiving all of the design files as a whole and intend to keep them separate from any other design files.

MechMan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report