Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving big assembly files

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anthony
382 Views, 12 Replies

Archiving big assembly files

I have several projects that have some very big complex assembly files which are taking up a lot of space on our company drive. I need to compress and archive these large files to free up space on the drive. I know that shrinkwrap is an option to simplify assembly files, any suggestions of  the optimum way of compressing large assembly files and reducing the file size considerably ? Thanks

Anthony Goodwin ~ Cad Manager/Senior Designer
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 SP2 64-Bit Edition
Windows 7 HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz
12.0GB RAM, ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anthony

You should look into a PDM vault system.  The absolulte best way to store and maintain files.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 13
Anthony
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks, are you referring to Autodesk Vault that comes with PDSU ?

Message 4 of 13
Cadmanto

Yes,  I am not sure what you mean by "PDSU" but we are running vault workgroup 2012 and I am pretty sure in a

meeting last week my VAR telling me that the 2013 Vault version has archiving capabilities which sound to be perfect for what you are looking for.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 13
Anthony

Hi, yes PSDU - Product Design Suite Ultimate, good to hear Vault has the archiving capabilities, if it could compress and store large files off the local drive that would be great. I'm not too familiar with Vault, the icon and login box does appear on my Inventor 2013 environment but I'm not sure of the steps to get it up and running ?

Message 6 of 13
Cadmanto

Ahh Yes, understand now.

Our IT department setup our vault.  I am an admin in the system, but setting it up is out of my realm

of understanding.  Once it is setup I can help you with certain features and such.

Anyway, if you are the guy that has to set it up you might want to either contact your VAR or search online

for pdf documentation on how to set it up.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 13
Anthony

Many thanks for this, I will ask out service provider about the possibility of installing Valut, do you know if this would be an extra charge ? If I do encounter any problems I'll post on here, thanks for the offer of help.

Message 8 of 13
Cadmanto

You are most welcome.

There might be a charge, but if you have an existing maintenance agreement with them

it may not be that bad.

Best of luck to you.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 13
cbenner
Message 10 of 13
Anthony

We do currently have a service and support license agreement so I will look into the possibility of getting Vault on board. The situation I am faced with now is that our company are now producing a lot of quite complex and large design models which are eating up space on our server, it would also be good for have a proper audit and control system using Vault. Many thanks again for your helpful comments.

Message 11 of 13
Cadmanto

Understand.

One other thing you might find interesting is our VAR alos told us in the very near future there is going to be built

in functionality that better quips Inventor to handle large assemblies.  Probably 2014 version.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 12 of 13
karthur1

Not sure how Vault can better equip Inventor to handle large iams.... its basically a file management system.

The only thing that I know is available in Vault Basis is the Pack-N-Go.  You could copy out the files, but as far as taking them off the server... I think you would have to manually delete each file from Vault.  This could be easy or difficult.  Just depends on how your folders and files are setup  There might be something better in one of the Vault flavors above Basic.... not sure about that.

You can do a Pack-N-Go from Inventor as well (without Vault).  It will gather all the files so that you could then move them to another location.  You will still have to manually delete them from the original location though.

I use Vault Basic and would not think of using Inventor without it.  I'm just saying that if you are setting up Vault just for the archiving functions..... you might be disappointed.

Kirk A.

Windows 7 x64 -12 GB Ram
Intel i7-930 @ 3.60ghz
nVidia GTS 250 -1GB (Driver 301.42)
INV Pro R2013, SP1.1
Vault Basic 2013

Message 13 of 13
Cadmanto
in reply to: karthur1

Kirk,

Sorry if I confussed you.  What my VAR said this large assembly functionality sounds to be strictly

for Inventor and not Vault.

As far the archiving I was told was in 2013.  I haven't yet used it, but my VAR made it sound like it

would be useful in what was being asked in this thread.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report