Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

dennymet
Message 11 of 17 (176 Views)

Re: Architectural - How to show 0 inches?

02-02-2012 07:09 AM in reply to: mmckean

It could be the case that the person who initially made the templates was bringing them in from AutoCAD... who knows.

I would say that what you're asking to do, as already implemented, would not be easily possible... you could use iLogic or a macro. Then again, now that you have been "enlightened" how about going about it the "better" way?

:cathappy: 

----
Autodesk Product Design Suite 2012 Premium
SolidWorks Premium 2011 SP4.0, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD5, Intel Core i7-2600k @ 4.66 GHz (103.5 X 45)
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 X 4GB) DDR3 1600
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3072MB 384-bit GDDR5
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD, WD VelociRaptor 600GB 10k RPM HDD
Employee
AlisonDavis
Message 12 of 17 (164 Views)

02-03-2012 03:26 PM in reply to: mmckean

Hi Mike,

Yes sorry the feature to show 0 inches was added in Inventor 2011.  It is not available in 2010.

Regards,

Alison Davis

Autodesk, Inc.

Contributor
mmckean
Message 13 of 17 (150 Views)

02-07-2012 05:59 AM in reply to: AlisonDavis

Well, I've informed them that the slightly outdated Inventor does not have the option for showing 0 inches. They said that they've been meaning to update, but haven't gotten around to it. So, I'm off the hook.

I *would* get kudos for writing something to do this, but I don't know iLogic, as I haven't had to use it yet. I think I'll leave it at that; thanks for all the info!

One last question, if I may: Now that I know the title block should be separate from the border, how should I go about it? I really don't want to redraw it if I don't have to, but you can't simply delete the outer border and save as a title block. I tried dragging the current Border file into the Title Block section, but it won't accept it. Any ideas? :/

-Mike

Valued Mentor
jeanchile
Message 14 of 17 (144 Views)

02-07-2012 08:36 AM in reply to: mmckean

mmckean wrote:

I really don't want to redraw it if I don't have to.... Any ideas? :/

I don't have any ideas on how do streamline this for you but I do have some advice. I would start this over completely and get it right. If the person who did this the first time misunderstood the TB/Border process, there is no telling what else may be messed up with this template. These templates can be like a virus, if you don't complete these the proper way they have a habit of finding there way into everything and causing problems. I would set a proper CAD standard and re-create the titleblock perfectly using the proper iProperties in the fields and avoid prompted entry text where possible (makes updating the title block easier down the road).

Just my 2 cents... good luck!

Inventor Professional 2013 (SP-2.3), Product Design Suite Ultimate
Desktop: Intel Core i7 3.4GHz, 16.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate SP-1, 64-bit OS, (2) GeForce GTX 580 (331.81), Space Pilot Pro (3.16.1)
Laptop: Intel Core i7 3.9GHz, 16.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP-1, 64-bit OS, GeForce GTX 780 (331.81), SpaceNavigator (3.17.7)
Contributor
mmckean
Message 15 of 17 (131 Views)

02-08-2012 07:10 AM in reply to: jeanchile

Well, I started from scratch, and I like it much more now. There were so many weird dimensions and lines in the first one that I didn't want to change. I've designed it a lot cleaner this time. I can avoid prompted entries, but there are still custom iProperties (building, location, etc) that need to be included. Usually, I won't know the value of these fields when I first create the file, so not having prompted entries makes sense. I'll have to assume that other employees know where to find the custom iProperties to edit them.

Also, I was thinking of having one template file with multiple border sizes and title blocks inside. That way, it can be used for different sheet sizes (different margins and such). If I do, will the file end up being very large? I don't want it to take up too much space when people start using it more.

Thanks,

-Mike

Valued Mentor
jeanchile
Message 16 of 17 (128 Views)

02-08-2012 07:38 AM in reply to: mmckean

One of the templates we use for one of the services we provide has fifteen different sheet formats, four different borders, 15 different title blocks, and 11 different sketched symbols. The file size is 1,224 kb but that is becuase we use the ".dwg" file type. The sizes are much smaller if you use ".idw" from what I remember but we also have people who need to open these drawings in AutoCAD so we use that file type instead.

No one here has noticed any slow downs by having all of our needs met by this one template. There doens't seem to be any noticable difference between this template and another one we use that just has two sheet formats. Our computers seem to be plenty beefy though.

As far as the iProperties thing goes, you should look around on Youtube for a video done by Rob Cohee using iLogic to prompt people to fill in the iProperties if they haven't. We haven't used it becuase we don't know iLogic at this point, but once we implement it it's one of the first things we are going to do. It's nice because when you close the drawing, if the iProp's aren't filled in with the information it will alert the user. Using iProperties instead of using prompted entry text will make it easier if you change the title block later or use the Drawing Transfer Wizard to update older drawings at any point. If you use prompted entry text, you'll lose that stuff when you transer the new TB over.

Good Luck!

Inventor Professional 2013 (SP-2.3), Product Design Suite Ultimate
Desktop: Intel Core i7 3.4GHz, 16.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate SP-1, 64-bit OS, (2) GeForce GTX 580 (331.81), Space Pilot Pro (3.16.1)
Laptop: Intel Core i7 3.9GHz, 16.0 GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP-1, 64-bit OS, GeForce GTX 780 (331.81), SpaceNavigator (3.17.7)
Contributor
mmckean
Message 17 of 17 (125 Views)

02-08-2012 08:22 AM in reply to: jeanchile

Ah, good to hear. That's what I'll do then, thanks! :smileyhappy:

I'll definitely keep that in mind. I haven't learned iLogic yet, but it may come in handy for little things that need to be messed with.

That's all I can think of for now; thanks for the advice!

-Mike

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.