Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

applying load at center of gravity using inventor pro 2014

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2865 Views, 5 Replies

applying load at center of gravity using inventor pro 2014

I am trying to apply a load lengthwise on a 2 x 2 x 3/16 angle at the center of gravity using "stress analysis" in inventor pro 2014, but it won't let me apply the load at this point.  Is there something I am doing wrong.  I know that the load would be floating in the air at the center of gravity, could this be the issue?

Thanks,

Inventor user

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CCarreiras
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!!

Its better to post some image or the part to understant your issue.

Regards.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: CCarreiras

Here is a picture of my problem. (see attached)

Message 4 of 6
JDMather

The yellow arrow glyph is just an image - the load is distributed evenly across the face selected.
(I assume you did select the face and not the edge or midpoint.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

The yellow arrow glyph is just an image - the load is distributed evenly across the face selected.

I don't run simulations all the time, but this post cleared up a few questions I had the few times I did run a test.

Thanks JD!

Message 6 of 6
cwhetten

I believe you want a body load.  A body load applies a linear acceleration to the entire model volume, and this is equivalent to applying a load at the center of gravity.  You have to specify an acceleration, rather than a force, but if you know your force and the mass of your part, you can find the effective acceleration:

acceleration = Force / mass (credit to Isaac Newton)

Simulation Body Load.png

You could also use the Gravity load, as this is just a specialized body load.

You may also be able to use a Remote Force load and specify the location of the force to be at your COG, but I don't know how this would behave if your COG is outside of the model volume.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report