Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply a profile to the edge of solids

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
hugoagogo
1534 Views, 7 Replies

Apply a profile to the edge of solids

Hi im fairly new to inventor and looking for a solution for something i hope is quite a simple task

I am currently in the process of designing a marble run for my Design and Technology Major Project and for some of the parts i am looking for a simple way to add a channel to the edges of some pieces (when i make these pieces they will be cut out of a sheet of wood and then a router used to add the channel profile)

I hope that i have made myself clear and someone here is able to help

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: hugoagogo

Can you attach the file here?

Without anything to look at (not even a screen shot) it sounds like a Sweep would create the feature you want.
The plastics feature Lip might also be a solution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
hugoagogo
in reply to: JDMather

Sorry i didnt upload a part i have some messy dependancies that i am in the process of cleaning up. Here is a screenshot though of a typical part.

part.png

In the picture i have drawn a line along the edges that should have the chanel in them

Message 4 of 8
Dennis_Jeffrey

You could use a offset workplane on this part, going through the center. Then create a 3D sketch that utilizes the worrkplane and desired part faces.

See attached.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 5 of 8
hugoagogo
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

I am not quite sure what you are suggesting i do in the 3D sketch, i have had even less experience in this enviroment

Message 6 of 8
Dennis_Jeffrey

Once created, you can use the 3D Sketch as a sweep or loft path to create your feature.

Have you gone through all the tutorials included with Inventor?

See included file

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 7 of 8
JDMather

@hugoagogo wrote:

I am not quite sure what you are suggesting i do in the 3D sketch, i have had even less experience in this enviroment

I would simply do two 2D sketches.  No 3D sketches needed from what I can see.  One 2D sketch for your Sweep path and one 2D sketch for the profile (which I assume would simply be a circle for your marble channel).

What version of Inventor are you using?

Here is one that would require a 3D sketch for the Sweep path.

http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/78/295240/1/Loop%20d%20Loop.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
hugoagogo
in reply to: JDMather

Took a bit of fiddleing to figure out how to get it to work but i finaly got there, sweep worked will with 2d sketches

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report