Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any advise regarding strategy on this assembly....?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
cahoe
700 Views, 8 Replies

Any advise regarding strategy on this assembly....?

\ve got this sketch from sketchup of a complex steelframe construction. part interior, part artwork (se attachement)

Its a lot of framed boxes that is connected by sharing steelbeams. Now my initial strategy was to make out all the boxes in subassemblys with frame generator and then connect them in a motherassembly, but can i merge subassembly framemebers to one in the motherassembly?

Be gentle.. as somebody has discovered im a novice here.. Smiley Wink

Many thank for all your help!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: cahoe

Yes, you have the right idea.
Sub-assemblies are components placed into an assembly, just like any component.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
cahoe

Wonderfull..!

But how do I merge frammembers between subassemblys?

As you see in the attached the boxframe on the left is sharing a leg in the boxframe on the right.

Right now I have made all the boxes as subassemblys and have put all my hopes in the idea that i can somehow merge the legs{framemembers} in the main assembly..

Please tell me it can be done..Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 9
JWittACS

I believe this is accomplished by selecting the sub-assemblies from within the super-assembly and right-click -> Promote components... someone please correct if I am wrong.

Inventor 2011 / Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit
Dell Precision T3600
Intel Xeon E5-1607 @ 3.00GHz
AMD FirePro V4900
20 GB Ram
Message 5 of 9
jddickson
in reply to: JWittACS

You can also go to the Browser Bar (Assembly Tree) hold down Ctrl and click all the parts in the subassembly you want to move then left click holding down the button drag the parts into the assembly you want them.

Message 6 of 9
cahoe

NICE tricks there...!

Thanks a lot.

Message 7 of 9
DRoam

Cahoe, keep in mind when creating models that you want to emulate as best you can the actual process that will be used to create the assembly in real life. If the individual boxes will be assembled first, then placed appropriately and attached with connecting members, then that's the workflow you would follow: create each box as a frame-generated assembly, create a parent assembly and place each box as a sub-assembly where it should go, then insert the connecting members as parts and constrain them to the boxes to connect them.

I can't think of another way that this might be assemblied in real life, but if the process will be different from the one I described then you'd try to follow it as closely as you can in your workflow for creating this assembly.

Message 8 of 9
cahoe

Dear Droam

Thats some really sound advice. It really help the modelling proces that you shouldn't think of it as a 3D digital modeling but real assembly. It makes you find prober solutions and help strukture complex construktions.

THANKS  

Message 9 of 9
DRoam

Precisely, sometimes I have to do a reality check and remember the same thing, and it often simplifies the structure of a model. Anyway, glad I could help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums