Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another flattening riddle

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
zakaronius
254 Views, 4 Replies

Another flattening riddle

I am trying to model a hollow curved disk as we would build it; faces cut form 1/8" material and roll formed and a return of.0625 thickness spanning the two.  The three parts were devived from disk3.ipt.   The faces both flatten.  The return thinks it flattened but did not.  Each of the 3 parts has its sheet metal rules thicknes set to "thickness".  I have learned a bit searching for someone's simalar problem but not solved my own.  I am pretty sure that this will flatten without deformation.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zak

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mrattray
in reply to: zakaronius

Inventor can't unfold that.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 5
zakaronius

Thanks for the quick response.

It seems that Inventor 2013 can not unfold this yet I find that very hard to believe.

Considering Dr Mather's comment regarding part2:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/How-can-I-flatten-these/m-p/3465526/highlight/true#M...

..MIGHT be able to be flattenned;  clearly part2 has compound curves.  I would have thought it impossible to flatten without deformation.  My return seems to me as it would lay flat as anything.  I guess I'll try something different to prove or disprove that notion.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 5
zakaronius

Yup.  You are right, Mike.  Thanks

Message 5 of 5
zakaronius

Still trying to solve what, seems to me, ought to be a simple problem.

Attached is a new version of the return that would not flatten.  A sweep rather than a patch between two surfaces.

No deleted faces.  Sheet metal environment  Thickness matches SM rule...

I exported this to Rhino where it does flatten yet it still will not in Inv2013.

Any insight?

Thanks in advance...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report