Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animation / Time

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
285 Views, 7 Replies

Animation / Time

Hi guys,

I am currently designing a flow wrapping conveyor system. At the end of the system is a crimper style cutter. I want to show this crimper 'cutting' between the packs...but... I am struggling to put accurate time readings in to my timeline. For example, i can only specify seconds to one decimal place. I need to be able to input data up to 4 decimal places. How do I go about doing this?

I can easily input values of up to 4 dp but Inventor seems to overwrite this and round it to 1 dp

Thanks,

Paul

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Perhaps if you have Inventor Professional with Dynamic Simulation - you can enter as many time steps as desired and export the simulation to Studio.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Unfortunately, i do not have dynamic sim. I am using Autodesk Product Design suite 2015

Message 4 of 8
sam_m

As a thought - could you slow everything down by a factor of 100 and then speed it back up after rendering?

Or, to ask a different question, how are you expecting an animations rendered at 20-30 fps to show this movement?  20-30 fps means each frame represents 0.05 to 0.0333sec, which is still a lot longer than your 0.001s timing - so, do you need the animation to be timed that accurately?

If your process is so critical it's down to 1000th of a second then I'm assuming the animation isn't that long...

ie.  If you want something to happen at 0.001s and something else at 0.003s then could you pretend that's at 0.1s and 0.3s instead?  And, if something is needed at 1s then it's now at 100s.  But, that's where I assume you're not expecting to show something down to the fractions of the second in ralations to multiple seconds, as sitting for 100s for each real second is crazy.

And, you're still back to the same problem when sped back up to real time - that 0.001s timing might now be rendered, but how are you going to play it back?  That means you need a 1000 fps display...  how can you see or even get your brain to process that movement unless it's all slowed down anyway?

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: sam_m

I am trying to rotate a gear like system to do the following....

0deg to 90deg (0s to 0.125s)

90 to 270 (0.125s to 0.45s)

270 to 286 (0.45s to 1s)

286 to 360 (1s to 1.175s)

Then hold for 0.075s 

Message 6 of 8
JDMather

The basic problem seems to be that you want to show motion that occurs in less time than the human can perceive - there is really no point in doing that.  In effect, you need a slow motion action.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 8
sam_m

multiply all times by 4, then it's:

0 - 0.5s

0.5 - 1.8

1.8 - 4

4-4.7

hold for 0.3

So, it's now all in Inventor with no time being more than 1 dp.

render at 25fps and then adjust playback to 100 fps (with a avi fps converter, or a video editing package) to get a final video 4 x the speed.  (or render at 6fps and convert to 24fps to prevent a massive file-size).

possibly a little around the houses (and I admit I've not tried it myself) but should work 😉

... but, as mentioned before, I think you're not going to notice the accurate times/movements when played back at full speed.  How can you notice a hold for 0.075sec???  Even slowed down 4 times you're only looking at a hold for 0.3s which is tiny when you think about it.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: sam_m

Yeah thanks for the help. Agreed it is a little long winded and something I am in the process of trying. I had just hoped Inventorcould provide an easier solution

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report