Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animation and Stress Analysis

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
t.grossiam
1036 Views, 6 Replies

Animation and Stress Analysis

Hello everyone,

I have been working with Inventor 2014 (Student eddition) for a few weeks now (the FRC season for anyone familiar) and am still stuck on something that I have never been able to solve in full. Is there any way to animate a chain, belt drive, or gear assembly the "correct way?" I am able to get two gears to rotate at the proper ratio but this workaround doesn't seem to pan out properly in stress analysis, which I need use of. I haven't been able to animate a belt or chain drive, creation is no problem but I can't get anything to move. Could anybody point me in the right direction? Also, what is the best way to do a stress analysis on, say, two sprockets chained together with loads in opposite directions? 

Thanks in advance!

Apologies if this is an obvious topic or if there is something simple I am missing out of naivety. I also apologize for any incorrect diction.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: t.grossiam

Analysis is not an "obvious topic" - at my college these are 3rd and 4th year topics.  In other words, advanced topics.

You have actually identified several different problems that you should solve one at a time.

I recommend that you attach your assembly here and start with the motion and worry about analysis later.

The animation is an easier topic than analysis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
t.grossiam
in reply to: JDMather

JD,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay on mine. I created a simple version of what I am attempting to do and attached it. Basically what should happen is that the small spur gear will get spun by a motor, which will spin the other gear, then the chain setup and lastly the hex shaft.  I think I got all the constraints and joints set up properly so that everything will rotate n syncronization. Thanks for the help,

T

Message 4 of 7
JDMather

@t.grossiam wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have been working with Inventor 2014.....

Did you save this in 2015?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
t.grossiam

Sorry, I updated a little while after my first post and I don't think I have an unsaved version from 2014. I attached an iges export and a drawing but if there are any issues, no need to worry about it. Thanks again for your help,

T

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

I don't have 2015 installed yet, but be sure to right mouse button click on the Spur Gears subassembly in the browser and set to Flexible.

Do the same thing for the Chain Drive subassembly.  If they are not set to Flexible - they will not rotate.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
t.grossiam

Wow, that was simple. Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report