Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

animate extrusion

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Bennetts
1086 Views, 11 Replies

animate extrusion

Hi Guys .... i am fairly new to inventor ... so here goes .... i am trying to show a blank plank of  "wood" being past though profile knife and cutter head and then on the other side of the knife i would like the plank of wood to now  be of course profiled acordingley. The only way i can explain that to people not in the wood tooling industry (that means everybody who will read this!!) is, imagine a block of aluminium going into a die at one end and coming out the other as its extruded shape. My problem is animating this process, i have no idea where to start !!! is it even possible ? I have drawn the knives and cutter head and can even get them to rotate using a drive constraint......................... Any help  would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: Bennetts

Assign parameter to lengths.
Animate parameter shortening one while lengthening the other.

Attach your assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 12

Hi Bennetts, 

You'll need to use the tools in the Studio environment to do this rather than the Drive Constraints tool. You'll likely need to link your extrusion cut length parameter from the plank to the assembly (from the assembly go to Tools > Parameters > Link button > change the file type to look for .ipt files) and select the plank model). Then you can add the parameter to the favorites and animate it.

Attached are some simple example files (please excuse the lack of real world details). You can open the assembly and go to the Studio Environment and then use the Animation Timeline controls to play it.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Cut.gif

Message 4 of 12

@Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

Attached are some simple example files (please excuse the lack of real world details).  

Curtis - I think the cutter is rotating the wrong direction. 
Smiley Very Happy

Bennetts,
Of course you could also have the tool rotating in place and the stock moving.
If you have trouble figuring it out from Curtis' example - attach what you are able to complete.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 12

@Anonymous wrote:

Attached are some simple example files (please excuse the lack of real world details).  

Curtis - I think the cutter is rotating the wrong direction. 
Smiley Very Happy

Smiley Happy

Yeah, I knew I'd get called on that, but it took me too long to get the GIF file small enough to post, to justify re-doing it once I noticed it. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 12

Yeah, I knew I'd get called on that, but it took me too long to get the GIF file small enough to post, to justify re-doing it once I noticed it. Smiley Happy

Good demonstration on the basic technique.  Hopefully Bennetts will be able to figure it out from your files.

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
JimSteinmeyer
in reply to: JDMather

I want to see chips flying off the board !  Smiley Very Happy

That is fantastic!  I will have to spend some time looking at it to figure out how you did that. This could be a fun tool to learn.

Jim

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
Message 8 of 12
Bennetts

Amazing ............... thank you gentlemen, you can tell I am not used to using these discussion forums ..... to receive such a quick reply from such knowledgeable chaps as your selves  is very cool…………… I have a very thumbed version of Mastering autodesk inventor 2011 …… I also have a very thumbed copy of Great Expectations …. Tried contacting that author about something but he didn’t reply at all !!!....... just rude if you ask me 🙂

Thanks once again ……………….. if it doesn’t  work I will be taking JD up on his offer !!

Bennetts (Gary Shaw)

Message 9 of 12

Stunning work!

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 10 of 12
Bennetts

Thank you  to JD and Curtis for their help re: animation....... i have another question .... is it possible to import my animation in to showcase..... or 3ds Max ????

thanks

Message 11 of 12
Bill_Bogan1

Showcase 2012 and up do allow you to nominate constraints and these are turned into animation actions in Showcase.

1. Start Showcase 2012
  2. On New Scene tab, select an Inventor assembly to import.
  3. On Inventor Import Settings, specify the constraint to animate.

Parameters do not transfer over for animation - to the best of my recollection.

Bill Bogan

Autodesk, DLS, LX Team

Bill Bogan
Principal Content Experience Designer
CXD
PDMS-DiD-Digital Manufacturing
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 12 of 12
Bill_Bogan1
in reply to: Bill_Bogan1

BTW, you can use parameter animation for some really effective things in Inventor Studio.

Attached is an example I did some time ago.

All dimensional constraints are all based off of one parameter. Then I just animate that one parameter to make the all changes.

Bill Bogan

Autodesk, DLS, LX Team

Bill Bogan
Principal Content Experience Designer
CXD
PDMS-DiD-Digital Manufacturing
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report