Inventor General Discussion

Bennetts
Message 1 of 12 (570 Views)
Accepted Solution

animate extrusion

570 Views, 11 Replies
04-13-2012 08:25 AM

Hi Guys .... i am fairly new to inventor ... so here goes .... i am trying to show a blank plank of  "wood" being past though profile knife and cutter head and then on the other side of the knife i would like the plank of wood to now  be of course profiled acordingley. The only way i can explain that to people not in the wood tooling industry (that means everybody who will read this!!) is, imagine a block of aluminium going into a die at one end and coming out the other as its extruded shape. My problem is animating this process, i have no idea where to start !!! is it even possible ? I have drawn the knives and cutter head and can even get them to rotate using a drive constraint......................... Any help  would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Assign parameter to lengths.
Animate parameter shortening one while lengthening the other.

Attach your assembly here.

Hi Bennetts, 

You'll need to use the tools in the Studio environment to do this rather than the Drive Constraints tool. You'll likely need to link your extrusion cut length parameter from the plank to the assembly (from the assembly go to Tools > Parameters > Link button > change the file type to look for .ipt files) and select the plank model). Then you can add the parameter to the favorites and animate it.

Attached are some simple example files (please excuse the lack of real world details). You can open the assembly and go to the Studio Environment and then use the Animation Timeline controls to play it.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Cut.gif

Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

Attached are some simple example files (please excuse the lack of real world details).  

Curtis - I think the cutter is rotating the wrong direction. 
:smileyvery-happy:

Bennetts,
Of course you could also have the tool rotating in place and the stock moving.
If you have trouble figuring it out from Curtis' example - attach what you are able to complete.

JDMather wrote:

Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

Attached are some simple example files (please excuse the lack of real world details).  

:smileyhappy:

Yeah, I knew I'd get called on that, but it took me too long to get the GIF file small enough to post, to justify re-doing it once I noticed it. :smileyhappy:

Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

Yeah, I knew I'd get called on that, but it took me too long to get the GIF file small enough to post, to justify re-doing it once I noticed it. :smileyhappy:

Good demonstration on the basic technique.  Hopefully Bennetts will be able to figure it out from your files.

I want to see chips flying off the board !  :smileyvery-happy:

That is fantastic!  I will have to spend some time looking at it to figure out how you did that. This could be a fun tool to learn.

Jim

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 2 of 12 (564 Views)

Re: animate extrusion

04-13-2012 08:43 AM in reply to: Bennetts

Assign parameter to lengths.
Animate parameter shortening one while lengthening the other.

Attach your assembly here.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015-SP1 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 3 of 12 (539 Views)

04-13-2012 11:13 AM in reply to: Bennetts

Hi Bennetts, 

You'll need to use the tools in the Studio environment to do this rather than the Drive Constraints tool. You'll likely need to link your extrusion cut length parameter from the plank to the assembly (from the assembly go to Tools > Parameters > Link button > change the file type to look for .ipt files) and select the plank model). Then you can add the parameter to the favorites and animate it.

Attached are some simple example files (please excuse the lack of real world details). You can open the assembly and go to the Studio Environment and then use the Animation Timeline controls to play it.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Cut.gif

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 4 of 12 (526 Views)

04-13-2012 11:25 AM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

Bennetts,
Of course you could also have the tool rotating in place and the stock moving.
If you have trouble figuring it out from Curtis' example - attach what you are able to complete.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 5 of 12 (523 Views)

04-13-2012 11:28 AM in reply to: JDMather

JDMather wrote:

Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

:smileyhappy:

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 6 of 12 (519 Views)

04-13-2012 11:29 AM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

Good demonstration on the basic technique.  Hopefully Bennetts will be able to figure it out from your files.

Distinguished Contributor
JimSteinmeyer
Message 7 of 12 (485 Views)

04-13-2012 02:58 PM in reply to: JDMather

I want to see chips flying off the board !  :smileyvery-happy:

That is fantastic!  I will have to spend some time looking at it to figure out how you did that. This could be a fun tool to learn.

Jim

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
Bennetts
Message 8 of 12 (466 Views)

04-14-2012 12:02 AM in reply to: Bennetts

Amazing ............... thank you gentlemen, you can tell I am not used to using these discussion forums ..... to receive such a quick reply from such knowledgeable chaps as your selves  is very cool…………… I have a very thumbed version of Mastering autodesk inventor 2011 …… I also have a very thumbed copy of Great Expectations …. Tried contacting that author about something but he didn’t reply at all !!!....... just rude if you ask me :-)

Thanks once again ……………….. if it doesn’t  work I will be taking JD up on his offer !!

Bennetts (Gary Shaw)

*Expert Elite*
scottmoyse
Message 9 of 12 (415 Views)

04-16-2012 12:04 AM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Stunning work!

Cheers
Scott Moyse

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Cheers!

Bennetts
Message 10 of 12 (356 Views)

04-19-2012 02:03 PM in reply to: Bennetts

Thank you  to JD and Curtis for their help re: animation....... i have another question .... is it possible to import my animation in to showcase..... or 3ds Max ????

thanks

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!