Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angle constraint resting position conflicts with Contact Solver

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
bhahn2
416 Views, 4 Replies

Angle constraint resting position conflicts with Contact Solver

It is highly likely that I am going about this all wrong, but I have two components that work together great with contact solver. Cam/ramp moves an Arm with no problem. However, without gravity or a spring, the Arm stays at the extreme that Cam/ramp pushed it to. So I thought trying to put angle limits on Arm would help. Limits match the range of motion produced by Cam/ramp pusing it. Great. Now if I put an use a resting position on the Arm, the arm always springs back. Perfect, I feel like I'm a genius. However, trying to use contact solver AND the angle resting postion things go wrong. The angle resting position is STRONGER than the cotact solver and pulls the Arm through the Cam/ramp.

Before someone suggests a Transitional constraint, I have not been able to make that work and I think that my geometry prohibits it.

I also feel like attaching the file would help but my legal department wouldn't like that and redrawing all this to eliminate everything "sensitive" to be kosher isn't very appealing right now.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pellerbrock
in reply to: bhahn2

I'm working on a project at home with a similar issue. I have a plate that moves and pushes into a linkage arm. Once the plate begins to retract it's movement, the linkages stay at their max range as applied by the plate. I'd like to have them return to their resting angle as the plate moves away.
Message 3 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: pellerbrock

Attach your assembly here.

You can enter min/max and resting position in Assembly Constraints.

There are other more sophisticated techniques involving Dynamic Simulation as well, but first, let's see what you have.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
pellerbrock
in reply to: JDMather

here is my project

Message 5 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: pellerbrock

While someone takes a look at this - I recommend that you install the latest Service Pack and Update for your version of Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report