Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An assembly that went from terrible to great!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
albert
273 Views, 4 Replies

An assembly that went from terrible to great!

I have an IAM of a fairly large assembly that it was getting so slow to add a constraint I was just about to give up (30 seconds to 1 minute per constraint).

In a last ditch effort I grounded all constrained component's in their proper position and then suppressed all constraints...presto, I can now add new parts and constrain them effortlessly! I do however after constraining new parts just ground them and suppress the constraints. 

For a test I un-suppressed all the constraints and all is good as long as I don't try and add new parts or constraints.

Is this normal?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: albert

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-general-discussion/inventor-2013-assy-getting-very-slow/td-p/...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi! What release of Inventor are you using? Without seeing the actual case, it is a bit hard to tell where the exact problem is. I assume there is already a grounded part in the assembly? If no, please ground at least one component. Based on your description, adding one constraint takes 30~60 minutes does not sound right to me. If the assembly is in fully-solved state before you add the new constraint, the new constraint should be solved very quickly. Certainly, it depends on if there are a lot of adaptive features or assembly features (they can interrupt the regular constraint solve process and it would take a bit longer to solve). Another thing to try is to activate Master Design View. Does it constrain faster when Master DV is active?

I can set up a secure account for you to upload the entire assembly. I would like to take a look and understand the behavior better. Please send me an email so I can follow up with you separately (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 5
albert
in reply to: johnsonshiue

No adaptive parts, no DV's....I did suspect a part and it's pattern at one time but after suppressing the part/pattern there was no difference. I find that large assemblies sometimes will have constraint issues so grounding all componenets and suppressing constraints might not be bad for assemblies that rarely have changes anyway. 

Message 5 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi! If possible, I would like to take a look at the assembly. I can set up a secure server for you to upload. Please send me an email directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report