Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternate Dimensioning

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Talayoe
3091 Views, 7 Replies

Alternate Dimensioning

Hello,

I apologize if this is a duplicate post of someone elses, but I did do a search and couldnt find the info I needed.

I have drawn a part (or series of...) in Invetor 2012 in metric and would like to display the alternate, that being inches, as well. I went into the Style Editor and everything to do with Alternate Dimensioning is greyed out, so I am not quite sure what I am missing, something I am sure is so explicitly simple that I will quickly regret posting this I am sure.

If someone could tell me how to activate this feature I would greatly apprecite it.

Tks!

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Talayoe

You need to use a dimension style that has alternate units enabled.

Look for Defaut - mm [in] style (the exact name will be different depending on your drawing standard).

Message 3 of 8
Talayoe
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank you, Jeff. It would appear that is what I am looking for.

Problem 2: I select said style in a pre-existing drawing (.idw) and hit done, I get the 'save this style' box, select 'yes' and nothing changes. I try to re-dimension something, no alternat dimensions. I know there would be a way, but I tried a new file all together and set the style before I did anything, still no altnerates.

I am guessing I missed something to lock it down as active? To which I did try 'Active Sheet' at the top (if that is needed or not) and also tried editing a new dimension after the style update and still get the greyed out boxes.

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Styles.pngIf you want dual dimensioning by default, you will have to create a new standard in your style library, and set the object defaults so the alternate units dimension style is the default.

Message 5 of 8
brendeho
in reply to: Anonymous

Thought I'd chime in and complain that this styles thing is too fracking complicated. Why not just have a check box on the dimension property itself which is currently greyed out that allows stacked in and mm units to override the single dimension on a case by case basis?

I think it used to be like this, just a simple check box. What should have taken 10sec is now a 15-30min ordeal to set a new style correctly.

Not trying to be difficult, but why is this not easier to do? !! so frustrating.

Message 6 of 8
hunt

@Talayoe wrote:

Thank you, Jeff. It would appear that is what I am looking for.

Problem 2: I select said style in a pre-existing drawing (.idw) and hit done, I get the 'save this style' box, select 'yes' and nothing changes. I try to re-dimension something, no alternat dimensions. I know there would be a way, but I tried a new file all together and set the style before I did anything, still no altnerates.

I am guessing I missed something to lock it down as active? To which I did try 'Active Sheet' at the top (if that is needed or not) and also tried editing a new dimension after the style update and still get the greyed out boxes.

It sounds like you changed the default style for the sheet, but the existing dimensions are still displayed in the previous style.  Select the dimensions you wish to change, click on the Select Style drop down located in the Format tab on the Annotate ribbon.  Select the dimension style you wish to apply.

Message 7 of 8
jayce69
in reply to: hunt

I wish to change just one dimension to have inch and mm.  Is there a way to do that without making a dim style?

Message 8 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: jayce69

@jayce69 wrote:

I wish to change just one dimension to have inch and mm.  Is there a way to do that without making a dim style?

No, but it's not at all difficult to make a new dim style based on an existing one and just turn on alternate units.  After you've placed the dimension, right click on it and select New Dimension Style...  In the New Style form that appears, set what you want on the Alternate Units tab, click OK, and you're done.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report