Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alter the value of a part parameter from an drawing (idw) File.

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
shmartin89
717 Views, 9 Replies

Alter the value of a part parameter from an drawing (idw) File.

Hey guys,

I want to be able to influence the value of a part parameter using ilogic in a drawing file.

Currently I have a Input Box list set up in a drawing file with numberous options for the user to select. (Via a MultiValue Parameter)

How can I link the selection of the Input Box list to alter the value of a parameter in a related part file?

E.g - Input User Box - Select Beam size: 1/2/3

User selects "2"

Part file parameters update to suit User selection.

Thanks

Sandy,

P.s I have tried using the ParameterMakePath fuction but without success,

Cheers,

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mrattray
in reply to: shmartin89

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 10
shmartin89
in reply to: mrattray

Thanks Mike,,

The other trouble I am having is updating the relative parts and assembly files which this ilogic will affect. I have tried to use my events trigger & set to any paramater change but I cant get it to work. I have to open the parts and click update in order for the drawing to update.

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated,

Thanks

Sandy

Message 4 of 10
mrattray

Try adding this anywhere in your rule:

iLogicVb.UpdateWhenDone=True

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 10
shmartin89

No Luck. I still open up my child part & it still wants it to update. The parent assembly is the same.

Thanks,

Message 6 of 10
mrattray

Try adding a rule to your "child parts" as follows:

localTrigger = YourParameter

InventorVb.DocumentUpdate()

Replace "YourParameter" with the name of whatever parameter your trying to change from the drawing file.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 10
shmartin89

Adding that to my child part does the job. Thanks. I also added it to the part above it (which my child part is derived into) and the assembly file above that. Neither of which are updating still. I derived in the paramater & reference in the code of each of the 2 files above my child part but they still wont update.

If I run the Rules the parts update but I dont think I can run the rules from event triggers base on a lower parts paramater change.

Thanks

Sandy

Message 8 of 10
mrattray

Another option that may work for you is to use the "Before Save" trigger. This would obviously require you to save your files before anything would update, though.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 10
shmartin89

Just to Clarift File Structure This is my browser....

Capture.JPG

Message 10 of 10
j.hemminga

Mike, this is what I was looking for!

@mrattray wrote:

Try adding a rule to your "child parts" as follows:

localTrigger = YourParameter

InventorVb.DocumentUpdate()

Replace "YourParameter" with the name of whatever parameter your trying to change from the drawing file.

I'm wondering though: Is there a way to trigger the document update on any parameter in stead of having to name specific parameters? Or perhaps a rule/form combination that allows me to update using an update button in the drawing?

As you can Imagine I'd like to make my templates so that I never have to worry about this again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report