Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All planes & sketches turn visible when editing an assembly sketch

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
martine
5006 Views, 20 Replies

All planes & sketches turn visible when editing an assembly sketch

This is driving me crazy.  I have an assembly consisting of several work planes, individual sketches and frame-generated parts.  The assembly is far enough along now that I am going back into some of the sketches and editing them.  Why in the wide, wide, world of sports does EVERY WORK PLANE AND SKETCH become visible when I only want to edit the one sketch I selected?  It makes it extremely difficult to distinguish the sketch I actually want to edit from the other half-dozen sketches that became visible.  Even more frustrating is the fact that in the Browser Bar, the icons for all the sketches and planes that became visible still appear as being turned off.  There is no option or means to toggle the unwanted sketches and planes back to not visible, while still leaving the one sketch I actually wanted to edit visible.  Infuriating.  There is a reason I turned those other sketches and planes to not visible in the first place.  If Inventor is going to ignore my commands to keep something visible or not, then what's the point of even giving us the option?  GRRRR!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
admaiora
in reply to: martine

Hi Martine,

try disable visibility for each plane at part level.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 21
cbenner
Message 4 of 21
martine
in reply to: cbenner

Hi cbenner,

Thanks for replying.  To answer your question, immediately after I create a work plane, I right-click on it in my Browser Bar and toggle the "visibility" off.  I know where the plane is because I created it.  Next, I will begin a sketch on the plane I just created.  In this particular case, I am using Frame Generator for my assembly.  Once I have placed my members using the sketch, I will then toggle my sketch visibility to off using the same method I did for my Work Plane.

My current assembly has 5 custom Work Planes.  Each plane has a single 2D sketch on it.  All sketches and planes are toggled to "not visible" prior to editing each sketch.  Here is what happens when I go to edit each sketch:

- Edit sketch1 and only sketch1 becomes visible (no planes or other sketches).

- Edit sketch2 and sketch1, work plane2 and sketch2 become visible.

- Edit sketch3 and sketch1, work plane2, sketch2, work plane3 and sketch3 all become visible.

- Edit sketch4 and sketch1, work plane2, sketch2, work plane3, sketch3, work plane4 and sketch4 all become visible.

- Edit sketch5 and only sketch5 becomes visible (no planes or other sketches).

With the exception of sketch1, all sketches use projected geometry off of the frame-generated parts.  Also, I never use the "Object visibility" under the "View" menu to globally turn on or off anything.  I always toggle object visibility at the part level.

I hope you can help.  Let me know if you require any additional information.

Message 5 of 21
salariua

I never use Object Visibility as yourself and sometimes they still turn on. 

Try the code from Curtis found on his blog (I use it all the time):

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/turn-onoff-all-workfeatures-with-ilogic.html

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 6 of 21
dkatz

I'd like to throw into the discussion the idea of using Representations. If your parts have only one Representation view (Master, the one with the lock next to it), then I think (This could be wrong, so buyer beware) that Representation always has all the work geometry turned on. When you put that part in an assembly, it links to the Master representation and then BAM, planes everywhere.

What I've done in the past is to create a representation called "No Work Geometry", turned off all the work geometry, and then used that one in assemblies. Now that I wrote this out, I feel like it sounds weird, and I'm doing it wrong. Someone please correct me, if I am.

Thanks,

Dave

Message 7 of 21
martine
in reply to: dkatz

salariua - I've never used the ilogic feature before - maybe I'll give it a try.

dkatz - I understand representations and use them all the time.  But I don't think that's really the issue.  The real problem is there is a disconnect between what the browser bar says and what I'm actually seeing in my work window.  Before I begin editing the sketches in question, I have already turned all of my planes and unwanted sketches to "not visible".  The icons for these are greyed out in my browser bar, as they should be.  But as soon as I edit a sketch, the work planes and sketches that were not visible, become visible.  And yet the icons remain greyed out, which contradicts what I'm seeing in my work window.  I'm not sure if I'm explaining it very well.

When I'm editing a sketch, I only want to see the one sketch I chose to edit, not a bunch of other sketches that overlap it.  It's a royal pain to edit a sketch that is buried under three other sketches that are all visible at the same time, as you can imagine.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.  Sounds like it's something I'm just going to have to get used to.

Message 8 of 21
martine

I just clicked on an email saying that no - this issue has not been resolved, but I check the topic and it now says it has been resolved.  I also never clicked on "accept as solution" to that reply.

I have no idea how this topic was considered "solved" because as I had already explained in one of my posts below I understood how representations worked and that was NOT the issue I was having.  This issue has NOT been resolved to my satisfaction whatsoever and I am still experiencing the exact same irritating-to-the-extreme problem.  But now that it says "solved" I guess no one else will bother looking in to this any further for me.  So I'm back to square one - a problem with no solution.

I don't know why I bothered.

Message 9 of 21
salariua

Hei,

We know better than you, this is totally sovled Smiley Surprised

But like dkatz had mentioned I have edited teh default.iam and added a deult level of detail and default view representation, just because the Master is locked all time.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!
Message 10 of 21
dkatz

No idea how the solved thing happened, but I checked back in and now realize that you're right, representations have nothing to do with that at all. If I've got sketches hidden or visible, their status doesn't change based on the addition of a new sketch, as I think you're describing. 

This seems like a bug to me. It's far from the experience I normally have with inventor.

Message 11 of 21
martine
in reply to: cbenner

Hi cbenner,

Thanks for replying. To answer your question, immediately after I create a
work plane, I right-click on it in my browser bar and toggle the
“visibility” off. I know where the plane is because I created it. Next, I
will begin a sketch on the plane I have just created. In this particular
case, I am using Frame Generator for my assembly. Once I have placed my
members using the sketch, I will then toggle my sketch visibility to off
using the same method I did for the Work Plane.

The other weird thing is, there is no consistency. Before I begin editing
the sketches in question, all sketches and work planes have been manually
toggled to “not visible”. My current assembly has 5 custom work planes
with a single 2D sketch on each of those planes. I used the same method
for creating each. And yet they behave differently when I edit them.
Here’s what happens when I edit each sketch:

- Edit sketch 1 and only sketch 1 becomes visible (no planes or
other sketches)

- Edit sketch 2 and sketch 1, work plane 2 and sketch 2 all become
visible.

- Edit sketch 3 and sketch 1, work plane 2, sketch 2, work plane 3
and sketch 3 all become visible.

- Edit sketch 4 and sketch 1, work plane 2, sketch 2, work plane
3, sketch 3, work plane 4 and sketch 4 all become visible.

- Edit sketch 5 and only sketch 5 becomes visible (no planes or
other sketches again)

With the exception of sketch1, all sketches use projected geometry off of
the frame-generated parts. Also, I never use the “Object Visibility” under
the “View” menu to globally turn on or off anything. I always toggle
object visibility at the part level.

I hope you can help. Let me know if you require any additional
information.

Cheers,

[image: martine]
Message 12 of 21
martine

OOPS!  New to the board and this was a reply for another discussion.  Mods - feel free to delete this post.

Message 13 of 21
Framstad

Hi. 

Did you ever find a solution to this?

Message 14 of 21
tommy-z
in reply to: Framstad

The 'random' appearance of planes and sketches appears to be a bug of some sort.

Occasionally when inserting a part in an Assembly, the planes - and sometimes also "unconsumed" sketches - are visible, although these was, as usual, invisible in the Part.

Once this has happened, the visibility of these planes and sketches apparently lives a life on their own, popping up primarily after double-clicking a part and editing it form within the Assembly.

rather annoying!

Message 15 of 21
dylanTEV9W
in reply to: tommy-z

Wow this having this issue in 2019. If anyone has stumbled upon a solution that doesn't rely on representations that would be very much appreciated. I suppose this could be solved with some automation but it feels like that's another long way around to solving what feels like a simple but really annoying issue. 

Message 16 of 21
johnsonshiue
in reply to: dylanTEV9W

Hi! This is a complicated subject, though it should not be that complicated. Regardless, if you don't turn off the visibility in the document itself (ipt or iam), you either need to turn them off individually or you go to View -> Object Visibility -> uncheck objects.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 21
tommy-z
in reply to: johnsonshiue

You appear to have not fully understood the problem.

Let me recap:

You are working in an assembly with, lets say, 3 levels of sub-assemblies.

All planes and sketches, in all parts (at whatever level) have the visibility turned off, and consequently no planes and sketches are visible in the top assembly.

At a given time, you want to edit one of the sub-level parts, and you do so by 'clicking through' down the tree, until the part is 'open' for edit.

You go about your business, but when you 'close the parts' i.e. you click your way up the tree, when you are back in the top-assembly, the sketch you edited, along with other - seemingly randomly selected - sketches and planes are now visible.

You then have to click visibility off, in the "Object Visibility" in the top-assembly.

Annoying to say the least!

Message 18 of 21
johnsonshiue
in reply to: tommy-z

Hi Tommy,

Like I said, this is a complicated subject but I agree with you that there are confusing and annoying behaviors. For the exact behavior you are talking about, it depends on how the design views are linked and how the object visibility is set. There should be a logical reason to explain it, though it could be counter-intuitive.

Do you mind sharing an example of what you are talking about? The behavior you describe isn't consistent with what I understood how it should work. It can be a bug that I don't know or there is a workflow I missed.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 19 of 21
tommy-z

Hi

Thanks for your reply

Unfortunately, I cannot share examples, as this pertains to our "trade secrets", with very detailed models

I have since my first mail upgraded to Inventor 2019, and it appears to have 'quiet down' a bit.

Regards

Message 20 of 21
tommy-z

Forgot:

Why is this a complicated subject?

If planes and sketches is turned off at the top-level (and, og course in all levels under, including the part itself) why would editing the part (that is 'editing' not 'open and edit') make the planes and sketches visible?

What arcane functionality, that I fail to fathom, could benefit from a behavior like that?

It's the same with the whole 'appearance' thing.

All I want is that the part shows, at all levels, the appearance and color I gave it in the part.

No such luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report