Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All around symbol

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
eveylynne
3032 Views, 12 Replies

All around symbol

Is there a way to add the all around symbol to a note or dimension?  I see how to add it to a weld symbol and a feature control frame, but that doesn't help me too much just yet...

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
ampster402
in reply to: eveylynne

would the "Circularity" symbol work?

Ref attached.

Message 3 of 13
eveylynne
in reply to: ampster402

Alas, it would not.  I need the symbol on the leader for all around profile.

Message 4 of 13
IgorMir

Do you mean something like in the attached? If so - it all controlled by Surface Texture DB.

Best Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 5 of 13
eveylynne
in reply to: IgorMir

Yessin.

It needs to be on the first jog of the leader, closest to the arrow head.

Message 6 of 13
IgorMir

Well, I am out of suggestions. What you are asking for is certainly not in the Australian standard AS 1100.

Which standard do you reefer to?

Regards,

Igor.

Message 7 of 13
eveylynne

Alas, I am not referring to any standard.  The print I am wanting this note for would stay on house, so I am trying to simplify the language.  It would be in reference to a radius around a complicated profile.  I'm simply going to add "ALL AROUND" to my dimension and leave it at that.  

Thank you for all the suggestions!

-Evelyn

Message 8 of 13
IgorMir

Hi Evelin,

While technically you can create a symbol you are after using Sketch symbols tool (see the attached) I still would be very shy to deviate from the National Standard.

Regards,

Igor.

Message 9 of 13
eveylynne

Thank you.  I'm just adding "ALL AROUND PROFILE" and leaving it at that.

Message 10 of 13
Rhowell8UR9F

I know this is super old but it truly sucks that it isn't an included feature still. The all around symbol is used in ANSI and ISO standards. I have come back to this thread a couple times because it seems to be the only one on it. I figured out the best way I can think of to do it and that is to simply create a sketch symbol of a circle, make the diameter the same as the text height, and set the insertion point at the center. You can then insert the circle on any vertex of the leader and it will follow it as you move it around.

Crazy to think a problem 9 years ago is still relevant. Obligatory "get it together, Autodesk!"

Message 11 of 13
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Rhowell8UR9F

Hi! I did a quick search. I am not sure which CAD tool supports this workflow. Is it about making the dimension an inspection dimension? If yes, you can simply edit the dimension and go to Inspection Dimension tab to turn on inspection oval.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 13
Rhowell8UR9F
in reply to: johnsonshiue

So it seems to be available for GD&T annotations and that's possibly the intended usage based on ASME Y14.5, however there is some contention as to whether or not it's reasonable to use for revolved feature dimensions. That's what I'm using it for and I think it adds clarity.

image.png

Message 13 of 13
IgorMir
in reply to: Rhowell8UR9F

I would like to see a fillet on a shaft, which goes part of the way. It is probably possible to do, but then it will be a very special part for the unique purpose.  For all other occasions to specifically indicate that the fillet goes all way around is just nonsense.

Best Regards,

Igor.

@Rhowell8UR9F wrote:

So it seems to be available for GD&T annotations and that's possibly the intended usage based on ASME Y14.5, however there is some contention as to whether or not it's reasonable to use for revolved feature dimensions. That's what I'm using it for and I think it adds clarity.

image.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report