Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIS9 Dimension Placement

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
182 Views, 6 Replies

AIS9 Dimension Placement

When you place a dimension and the text is too large to fit between it has previously been possible to move the cursor either left/right or up/down to place the text outside the dimension and in the most convenient place. Currently it can only be placed either left or down of the dimension and you have to go back and edit it ! ! ! I've already put in a bug-report, but though others would want to be aware, hopefully somebody's got a work-around. Duncan -- "Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for ordinary living." (Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Duncan, Hold down CTRL when placing the dimension and you can put the text wherever you want. Regards Rory "Duncan Anderson" wrote in message news:411b5274_1@newsprd01... > When you place a dimension and the text is too large to fit between it has > previously been possible to move the cursor either left/right or up/down to > place the text outside the dimension and in the most convenient place. > > Currently it can only be placed either left or down of the dimension and you > have to go back and edit it ! ! ! > > I've already put in a bug-report, but though others would want to be aware, > hopefully somebody's got a work-around. > > > Duncan > > -- > "Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving > by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for ordinary > living." > (Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002) > >
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Rory, Thanks. When did it that change and why ? And why wasn't it documented ? I'm going to re-read the subscription licence, see if it mentions Cavia Porcellus in the small print. I've heard of the Waterfall method of product development, but I'm sure Adesk use the Princess Diana Memorial Fountain method - one step forward, two back and then slip over :-( Duncan -- "Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for ordinary living." (Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002) "Rory" wrote in message news:411b58ce_2@newsprd01... > Duncan, > > Hold down CTRL when placing the dimension and you can put the text wherever > you want. > > Regards > > Rory > > > "Duncan Anderson" wrote in > message news:411b5274_1@newsprd01... > > When you place a dimension and the text is too large to fit between it has > > previously been possible to move the cursor either left/right or up/down > to > > place the text outside the dimension and in the most convenient place. > > > > Currently it can only be placed either left or down of the dimension and > you > > have to go back and edit it ! ! ! > > > > I've already put in a bug-report, but though others would want to be > aware, > > hopefully somebody's got a work-around. > > > > > > Duncan > > > > -- > > "Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and > proving > > by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for > ordinary > > living." > > (Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002) > > > > > >
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Duncan, What you're seeing is the dimension centering behavior that was added in R9. As Rory mentioned, this centering behavior can be temporarily disabled by holding down the Ctrl key, but you can also turn it off permanently be unchecking the "XXX" control on the Drawings tab of Application Options. The centering functionality is covered under What's New in R9 help under Drawing Annotation improvements. Cheers, -- Andrew Faix Product Designer - Inventor Drawing Manager autodesk "Duncan Anderson" wrote in message news:411b61f7_3@newsprd01... > Rory, > > Thanks. > > When did it that change and why ? And why wasn't it documented ? > > I'm going to re-read the subscription licence, see if it mentions Cavia > Porcellus in the small print. > > I've heard of the Waterfall method of product development, but I'm sure Adesk > use the Princess Diana Memorial Fountain method - one step forward, two back and > then slip over :-( > > Duncan > > -- > "Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving > by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for ordinary > living." > (Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002) > > > "Rory" wrote in message > news:411b58ce_2@newsprd01... > > Duncan, > > > > Hold down CTRL when placing the dimension and you can put the text wherever > > you want. > > > > Regards > > > > Rory > > > > > > "Duncan Anderson" wrote in > > message news:411b5274_1@newsprd01... > > > When you place a dimension and the text is too large to fit between it has > > > previously been possible to move the cursor either left/right or up/down > > to > > > place the text outside the dimension and in the most convenient place. > > > > > > Currently it can only be placed either left or down of the dimension and > > you > > > have to go back and edit it ! ! ! > > > > > > I've already put in a bug-report, but though others would want to be > > aware, > > > hopefully somebody's got a work-around. > > > > > > > > > Duncan > > > > > > -- > > > "Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and > > proving > > > by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for > > ordinary > > > living." > > > (Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002) > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Sorry...forgot to fill in my place-holder.... That's the "Center dimensions text on creation" control in Application Options. "Andrew Faix (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:411b6ed2$2_3@newsprd01... > Duncan, > > What you're seeing is the dimension centering behavior that was added in R9. > > As Rory mentioned, this centering behavior can be temporarily disabled by > holding down the Ctrl key, but you can also turn it off permanently be > unchecking the "XXX" control on the Drawings tab of Application Options. > > The centering functionality is covered under What's New in R9 help under > Drawing Annotation improvements. > > Cheers, > -- > Andrew Faix > Product Designer - Inventor Drawing Manager > autodesk > > > > "Duncan Anderson" wrote in > message news:411b61f7_3@newsprd01... > > Rory, > > > > Thanks. > > > > When did it that change and why ? And why wasn't it documented ? > > > > I'm going to re-read the subscription licence, see if it mentions Cavia > > Porcellus in the small print. > > > > I've heard of the Waterfall method of product development, but I'm sure > Adesk > > use the Princess Diana Memorial Fountain method - one step forward, two > back and > > then slip over :-( > > > > Duncan > > > > -- > > "Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and > proving > > by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for > ordinary > > living." > > (Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002) > > > > > > "Rory" wrote in message > > news:411b58ce_2@newsprd01... > > > Duncan, > > > > > > Hold down CTRL when placing the dimension and you can put the text > wherever > > > you want. > > > > > > Regards > > > > > > Rory > > > > > > > > > "Duncan Anderson" wrote > in > > > message news:411b5274_1@newsprd01... > > > > When you place a dimension and the text is too large to fit between it > has > > > > previously been possible to move the cursor either left/right or > up/down > > > to > > > > place the text outside the dimension and in the most convenient place. > > > > > > > > Currently it can only be placed either left or down of the dimension > and > > > you > > > > have to go back and edit it ! ! ! > > > > > > > > I've already put in a bug-report, but though others would want to be > > > aware, > > > > hopefully somebody's got a work-around. > > > > > > > > > > > > Duncan > > > > > > > > -- > > > > "Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, > and > > > proving > > > > by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for > > > ordinary > > > > living." > > > > (Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002) > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Andrew, I'm working on translating a CatiaV5 IGES file at the moment, so I don't have Inv9 open, nor the DM and will have to do things by memory - just hope the single cell will keep going long enough. The self-centring I noticed that when placing the text of a dimension a centre chain line would appear when the text/dimension is central. But this is a diversion to what I was talking about. The specific item I mentioned is when the extension lines are too close together or the text too large to fit between the extension lines. Inv would automatically extend the dimension to either the left or right (up or down) depending whether the cursor was near the left or right extension line. As the text can't fit between the extension lines the auto-centring - which is basically a very good addition - can't have any effect. Follow this work flow in the DMs of both Inv9 & Inv8(sp1) Sketch a line 10mm long (or less) horizontally. Dimension it Move cursor to left and then right extension lines. Spot the difference. I think you'll agree this bug need fixing. Duncan -- "Humour ... is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for ordinary living." (Terence 'Spike' Milligan K.B.E., 1918-2002) "Andrew Faix (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:411b6f16$1_1@newsprd01... > Sorry...forgot to fill in my place-holder.... > > That's the "Center dimensions text on creation" control in Application > Options. > > > "Andrew Faix (Autodesk)" wrote in message > news:411b6ed2$2_3@newsprd01... > > Duncan, > > > > What you're seeing is the dimension centering behavior that was added in > R9. > > > > As Rory mentioned, this centering behavior can be temporarily disabled by > > holding down the Ctrl key, but you can also turn it off permanently be > > unchecking the "XXX" control on the Drawings tab of Application Options. > > > > The centering functionality is covered under What's New in R9 help under > > Drawing Annotation improvements. > > > > Cheers, > > -- > > Andrew Faix > > Product Designer - Inventor Drawing Manager > > autodesk > >
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

>>"The centering functionality is covered under What's New in R9 help under Drawing Annotation improvements."

While the text-centering is mentioned in the 'What's New', I see no reference to the CTRL key being used to override the default text location. Perhaps this tidbit should be added and emphasized, as it is a change in the dimensioning process (rather than a bug).

-Paul Cunningham

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report