Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIP2008 - Tube/Pipe - route woes

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
128 Views, 6 Replies

AIP2008 - Tube/Pipe - route woes

Please forgive the length of this ...

I hope the attached file shows what I'm trying to convey; if not, I can elaborate further.

I'm trying to "connect" two fittings from two different routes. That is, based on the attached file, I want a node of the upper route to stay coplanar with a node from the lower route. Knowing that a plane can't be defined by only two points, I want the other condition to be that the resultant third route be perpendicular with the other two. When editing a route (this is a Wish List item), it would be really nice if I could simply pick a route and tell it that I want it to remain vertical (or orthogonal to a plane or something). Route geometry should have the same constraints available to it that 2D sketch geometry does.

I've tried everything. I was finally able to define a node on the upper route based on a node on the lower route, but it took a construction line to do it. I can then get the node in question to move from point 1 to point 2. But as soon as I do that and click Update, the third route skews because only the top of it moves. The opposite end stays grounded, and I see no means of ungrounding it.

Not having a vertical option available to me, is there a means of doing what I'm (hopefully successfully)describing?

If it helps, the upper horizontal route and the upper vertical route are separate routes within the same run. The work plane is also part of that same run. The construction line, however, is part of the lower run.

Thanks,
Kevin
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi, Kevin

Could you please provide me your dataset so that I can understand your
request correctly and look into this issue ASAP?

Thanks
-Henry
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Hi, kevin

You can Zip the model files and send them to JUNJIEdotZHAOatAUTODESKdotCOM.
If you data set is too big to send by email, I can give you a FTP address to
upload your dataset.

Thanks
-Henry
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Have you tried using the include geometry option when you are placing the route? This should be a right click option when creating the path. This will allow you to constrain to a work plane or work feature. In the route click on Include geometry and then click the work plane or face you want. From there you can constrain a perpendicular or other constraint to the planar face or plane.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I haven't tried that, but I'll give it a whirl. I went to an AIRS training class a short while ago, and we did a little experimentation. We found that while drawing the route, you can constrain perpendicular to a face and parallel to an edge, but it becomes a lot harder to do if you try to edit a route perpendicular/parallel after it's already been placed.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Hi, Henry,

I apologize that it's taken so long to get back to you. As usually happens, just as I'm getting into the meat of a problem, I get pulled off the project and have to work on something else. At any rate, thanks for the offer to help.

- kh
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Oops, it's not a right click it is a command on the Panel. I have found this to be the best course for either offsetting from a face since the include geometry allows you to place a dimension from the face or plane to the route but you are correct in that it makes it a little more difficult to edit the route. But that is why you get paid the big bucks 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report