Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIP 2014 place and ground bug?

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
TobiasZetterberg2067
1035 Views, 24 Replies

AIP 2014 place and ground bug?

Hello!

I am trying to change the default setting "Application options/Assembly/place and ground first component at origin" to be checked and it works fine for that session, but every time I start up AIP 2014 again the box is unchecked.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

/Br T

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

It may not apply to your issue, but I've noticed in many versions of Inventor if you have more than one open at the same time most settings don't seem to save.
Message 3 of 25

Hi!

Do you mean more than one file or application open?

/Br T

Message 4 of 25

More than one inventor.
Message 5 of 25

Inventor writes setting changes to the Windows Registry upon proper exit and shut-down of the software. If you have muliple instances of IV running, the last one to properly close will update the Registry with it's settings.

You may want to check the Windows Taskmanager to see if there are any other instances of IV running as well.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 25

I never run more than one instance of Inventor and I have not had any problems with crashes recently so the exits of the program has been correct after changing the setting.

I also checked the task manager and I only have one Inventor-process running.

/Br T

Message 7 of 25

I have noticed this issue as well. For me, it seems to happen completely at random, and I make sure to shut down and restart inventor every time I reset that setting.

Message 8 of 25

We also experience this issue. It is Random and not everytime that Inventor is launched.

Also have the odd occurance where materials libraries etc are not present and have to open and close Inventor a few times to get this working again.

Just installed update 2 (not mentioned in this) - look forward to update 3 or SP1

Message 9 of 25

I assume this is a fresh install of Inventor. Did you have a previous version (or current) of Inventor working properly on this machine?
I would suspect your Windows user settings. Are you a power user or local admin on your machine?
Does IT have any sort of re-imaging software set up? When I was in college we used to have to redo our setting dialog every time we logged in because the IT department had some software that reset the registry every time.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 25
sparrow169
in reply to: mrattray

In my case, it is a fresh install of Inventor, but I have had both Inventor Pro 2013 and Inventor Pro 2012 working properly on this same machine.

I am an admin on my own computer. As far as I know, IT doesn't have any re-imaging software. All my other inventor settings stay where I set them, but this one changes itself at random, usually without me ever logging out.

Message 11 of 25
SMGordon
in reply to: sparrow169

I just want to chime in that I have the same problem as sparrow under the same conditions.

Message 12 of 25

This is a Bug in both Inventor 2014 & 2015

Autodesk, when are you planning to fix this issue?

Message 13 of 25
tlebrun
in reply to: Robert.Reid

BUMP!!!!!

Same problem here.  It's random.

Message 14 of 25
johnsonshiue
in reply to: tlebrun

Hi! I have heard some users comlained about this behavior but I have never seen a set of steps reproducing it. Is your machine accessed by more than one persons? Do you have a system process possibly resetting registry regularly? The reason I am asking is that the option is recorded in the registry. Unless it was overwritten by a different process, I am not aware that Inventor would change it.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 25
tdswanson
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnson:

To answer your questions, I'm the only user that uses this machine and to the best of my knowledge, I don't have anything that would be bumping the registry key that records this setting.

I'm at a very small company, so I'm really the only person that spends a huge amount of time using the software.  So I can't speak to multiple stations.

But I can verify that I've had this problem since *at least* Inventor 2014 and it followed through the migration to v2015.  

Other than that I have never really tried to induce the setting change, but I can vouch that it happens.  A lot.

Thanks!

Message 16 of 25
kmeldfreyssinet
in reply to: tdswanson

Hi,

I have the same problem with place and ground first component.

I use AI 2015.

I set this setting in application options, and make sure it stays there. I close the program so it writes settings to registry. When I run it next time initially this setting is there.

But after some time when I place first component in to new assembly it is not being grounded at origin.

This happens even is there are no crashes of the software, only single instance of inventor is running, I co no change application settings.

If Johnosn says no one had provided set of steps leading to this behavior I am going to track this down. Smiley Happy

Cris.

Message 17 of 25

Hi everyone!

And I have the same bug in all versions 2014-2016. Fix&Ground first component sertting is disabling itself in a random way. And it is NOT linked with Inventor crashes. I've checked it right now.

It is very annoying! Thanks in advance for any help!

Message 18 of 25
kmeldfreyssinet
in reply to: AlexeyN

Hi,

I am paying close attention to this bug for a long time trying to find any pattern, but without any success for now. It is extremely hard to catch this exact moment this setting gets changed.

I tried to get some help from customization forum in creating plug-in that would monitor state of this setting but it cannot be done.

I also have noticed that this is not in any way related to crashes.

Personally I do not see any relation to anything what I can think off.

I thought it may be connected with running two or more instances of Inventor in the same time, but so far nothing seems to confirm that.

Cris

Message 19 of 25

And it is definitely not related with running more than one Inventor instance. In our classrom (I am an Inventor trainer in ATC) we never do that, but the setting is disabling very often on all 12 student computers and on my laptop. And I can not catch any consistent steps leading to that too. Please, let me know if you have any more ideas. I can check it on a wide number of computers
Message 20 of 25
Cris-Ideas
in reply to: AlexeyN

Hi,

I have found one of the causes

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/quot-place-and-ground-first-component-at-origin-quot-op...

Cris.

Cris,
https://simply.engineering

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report