Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adsk file format

35 REPLIES 35
Message 1 of 36
huycke
12258 Views, 35 Replies

adsk file format

Can anyone tell me anything about the adsk file extension which is to be coming out with inventor 2010?
What are its's capabilities, benefits?
35 REPLIES 35
Message 21 of 36
ochivet
in reply to: huycke

Hi All
Hello Patrick

I try to export an Inventor part with connection point throught the Adsk format to AutoCAD MEP.
Both software are 2010 version.

" BEFORE APPLYING YOUR PATCH "
In Inventor, I use the command "Environment->AEC exchange->Export Building Component" (hope the command are correctly translated, my menu is in french).
The enclosed adsk file is generated.

When I try to import the adsk file into AutoCAD MEP, it crash with a "fatal error: memory can't be read"
To do this, I use the command "Insert->Building Component (from "Content" Group)".
After selecting the file, a dialog appears asking me what I want to do with the file (Add as Multi-View Part, Multi-View Block or simple Block). The error occurs whatever the choice I do.

Regards

Olivier Chivet
TraceParts S.A.
Message 22 of 36
ochivet

Hi All
Hello Patrik

"AFTER INSTALLING THE PATCH"
I generated a new adsk file (enclosed).

Now When I try to insert it into AutoCAD MEP, the software doesn't crash, but I receive the following error (always after the dialog asking me what i want to do with the file) :
"The file "...adsk" is not a valid Autodesk exchange file"

Best regards
Olivier Chivet
TraceParts S.A.
Message 23 of 36
ochivet

Patrick

I forgot to tell you my OS is XPSP2 64-bit
So Inventor and AutoCAD MEP is 64-bit version too.

Regards
Olivier Chivet
TraceParts S.A.
Message 24 of 36
stefan.lindberg

Hi there!
Now we have tried with the hotfix installed and it works fine! I've tryed Revit Architecture and it imports the ADSK file without problems.
I attach 2 simple ADSK test files that works for me in Revit so you can try if you like.

/Stefan Lindberg CAD-Q Sweden
Message 25 of 36
stefan.lindberg

Here comes the other file...
It's an simple table that is upside down (so there is nothing wrong with it... 🙂 )

We will try to do some more complicated modells later on ...
Message 26 of 36
ochivet

Hi All
Hello Stefan

From my side, there is no change.
I tried your two adsk files, and I always receive the error "The file ...adsk is not a valid Autodesk Exchange file" in AutoCAD MEP 2010.

Regards.
Olivier Chivet
TraceParts S.A.
Message 27 of 36
stefan.lindberg

I've tryed them in AutoCAD Architecture and I get the same error as you!

"The file xxxx.adsk is not a valid AutoDesk exchange file."

But in Revit Architecture they import nicely!!

There must be something for AutoDesk to fix in AutoCAD based products like MEP and Architecture because it seemse to work fine in Revit based products...

/Stefan
Message 28 of 36
stefan.lindberg

I've tryed them in AutoCAD Architecture and I get the same error as you!

"The file xxxx.adsk is not a valid AutoDesk exchange file."

But in Revit Architecture they import nicely!!

There must be something for AutoDesk to fix in AutoCAD based products like MEP and Architecture because it seemse to work fine in Revit based products...

/Stefan
Message 29 of 36
garin

We have just released a Hotfix to clear up this issue. If you are saving an ADSK file from AEC Exchange and try to open it in Revit or AutoCAD Architecture you will get an error unless you install this Hotfix.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13105818&linkID=9242019

Edited by: garin on Apr 17, 2009 3:58 PM Edited by: garin on Apr 17, 2009 3:58 PM
Message 30 of 36
ochivet

Hello garin

I installed the hotfix and generate a new adsk file.
I receive an error when I try to import the file into AutoCAD MeP 2010 x64 (see enclosed picture)

When do you think it could be possible to import the adsk file into MEP ?

Best regards
Olivier Chivet
TraceParts S.A.
Message 31 of 36
slader_94

Hi Olivier,

The issue was possibly caused by workflow toolkit version between Inventor and AMEP, could you please check following below steps:

1. Close all software applications.
2. Navigate to your product installation folder; for example C:\Program Files\AutoCAD MEP 2010.
3. Select the file WorkflowBase-1_0-vc90-wt.dll, right-click go to the Details or Version tab check the File Version.
If the file version is not 1.0.40.0 or newer then you do need to install this hotfix.

you can get the hotfix at below location:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=12959822&linkID=9240938

Please let me know if this does not work for you.
LIANGdotCAOatAUTODESKdotCOM
Thanks,
-Liang Cao
Message 32 of 36
ochivet

Hello Liang,

With the AutoCAD MEP Hotfix, it works now. I could import the adsk file into MEP.
But..
I defined some connection point on my model into Inventor, and I can't find them after importing the model into MEP. Is it normal ?

Thank you for your help.

Olivier Chivet
TraceParts S.A.
Message 33 of 36
slader_94

Hi Olivier,

Good to know that.

You may select Multi-View Part while importing the ADSK file, then connectors will be show up, and it works for me. Please check attached screen shot for more info.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
-Liang Cao
Message 34 of 36
ochivet

Hello Liang,

In my previous test I just selected "Import as Multi-view Block".
When I import as "Multi-View Part" , I can see the connection point. So it's OK.

Thanks again.

Olivier Chivet
TraceParts S.A.
Message 35 of 36
blueshift17

I am getting the same error "revit cannot open .ADsk files that contain the building site workflow" from Inventor LT2010 to Revit Structure 2010

Any such Hotfix for Inventor LT 2010??
Thanks
Message 36 of 36
RobJV

Adesk says it is coming...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report