Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Addng non drawn parts to a BOM

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Alutip
667 Views, 2 Replies

Addng non drawn parts to a BOM

Good morning everyone

I have a major assembly, of a truck water spray tanker, with all the manufactured parts and sub assemblies.

I now want to add in the buy outs that are not drawn, ie the electrical items, the pneumatic items, the hydraulic items.

I would like to have each as a blank subassembly with a BOM, that I can insert into the master assembly, so it will appear

as a complete list of parts when I export to excel,from that master assembly,  parts only mode.

I am guessing it must be possible.

We are using Inventor 2013, we don't use Vault.

My  2 questions are

1. Is it possible

2. How does everybody else add in these parts to their final Assembly BOM.

We are wanting to use this final assembly BOM, as a picking/ordering list for each project, by exporting it to excel, and giving it to the relevant people.

Michael Kovacik

Design Office

Alutip, (Aluminium Tipper/Trailers/Tankers/Dropside Bodies)

+27 73 419 0564

Pretoria, South Africa

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
warrentdo
in reply to: Alutip

Hello Alutip,

What you could do is create an assembly and call it Bought outs.

then 'create in place Componets' check the 'Virtual Component' and call the part Glue or what ever.

Keep adding the parts as required then insert into top level assembly.

The only thing that I am concerned about is these parts would need to be added at top level in order to appear in the BOM unless you do a parts only BOM but that would show every single part in every assembly.

if you do that you could change the BOM structure of the part to 'Purchased' so that when you export to Exel you can sort the data by BOM Structure field.

The way I do it is on the sub-assembly that contains the normal and Bought out items I drop the Virtual parts.

That way they are on that level and are ordered on that sub assembly.

Create a bom and they will all appear but only on an assembly by assembly level.

It all depend on where you want the bought outs to appear.

I hope that helps

Regards

Warren.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
----------------------------
2013 Product Design Suite Ultimate 64-bit
2012 Product Design Suite Ultimate 64-bit
2011 Product Design Suite Ultimate 64-bit
All running at the same time 🙂

Message 3 of 3
salariua
in reply to: Alutip

Have you tried Curtis's code for adding virtual components from excel? He has many versions of this code, but I like and use this.

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/ilogic-add-standard-virtual-parts-from_29.html

That's how I add grease, oil, grout, anchor bolts, etc..... I have even used it to add man hours.

Adrian S.
blog.ads-sol.com 

AIP2012-2020 i7 6700k AMD R9 370
Did you find this reply helpful ?
If so please use the Accepted Solutions or Like button - Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report