Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Wires

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
newcomer
179 Views, 2 Replies

Adding Wires

I have a set of printed circuit boards, all quite small.  Pin 5 of board A needs a wire to go to pin 3 of board B.  I have spent most of the evening struggling with the "wires" option, and there doesn't seem to be something as simple as "Take a length of #28 stranded wire with green insulation and connect it to pin 5 of board A and pin 3 of board B".  There are all kinds of wiring harnesses and complex connectors, but nothing that seems to accomplish this simple task.  In addition, it would be nice if it would let me route the wire, and then tell me what length I need to cut.

Or, if there is a lesson somewhere on how to do this, please give me the URL.

joe

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: newcomer

There are two ways to do this -

1. manually creating a sweep path in assembly (this same question came up in the last 3 days and I posted step-by-step solution).

this is fine and easy for small, infrequent jobs

2. Routed Systems - go through the Routed Systems Tutorials, worth learning for frequent use of routed wiring, not too difficult to learn.  The key would be defining pins at the connections.

I will try to post example here later today.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 3
mcgyvr
in reply to: newcomer

Do you have Inventor professional?

If not you are limited to sweeps.. If so using the cable/harness module as JD pointed out in #2 above is the way to go..

You would simply add a "pin" to each circuit board and create a harness (just 1 wire is fine) in the assembly.

You can route it as needed and it will tell you the length of wire required. 

wire.JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report