Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding pipe flange studs/nuts

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jasonh70
2995 Views, 11 Replies

Adding pipe flange studs/nuts

What's the best way to populate the studs and nuts on a flanged connection in tube/pipe? Can studs be added to the bolted connection content?

2010 Routed Systems
Inventor Professional 2014 Build 222
Dell Precision T3500, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07 GHz, 12GB RAM, Win7 SP1
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ruth-chunhua.hu
in reply to: jasonh70

Hello,

If you place one stud in Content Center and autodrap with pattern to the hole of flange, all studs could be inserted on the holes of flange.

It seems stud can not be applied in Bolt Connection. But you could author the custom stud via Component Authoring tool and publish them to Content Center.

Hope it helps you,

Thanks,
Ruth
Message 3 of 12
cbenner
in reply to: ruth-chunhua.hu

2 years and at least 2 releases ago, and STILL studs are not allowed in the Bolted Connections.  Auto dropping studs, (after first having to create, author and then publish them as they are NOT included in CC), washers and nuts on each and every flange in a piping system that may include hundreds if not thousands of flanges.... is not going to be very productive. 

And yes, I will post this in the wish list.  I'm just venting.  Sorry.  Everyone go back to your knitting.

Message 4 of 12
ToddHarris7556

Add one more vote for studs, please.

In my experience in chemical and pulp/paper industries, they're often preferred for piping due to more even torquing.

Todd
Product Design Collection (Inventor Pro, 3DSMax, HSMWorks)
Fusion 360 / Fusion Team
Message 5 of 12
macflirty

Count me IN.  We deal most of our job using Stud Bolt connection as a standard connection on piping (Mining Industry).  Including this feature in INV will be very very advantagous ( Saves time & effort ).  Why is it not included anyway? it is actually a typical connection. Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 12
Rich.O.3d

another year...another release...still no stud bolts !!!!????

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 7 of 12
cbenner
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

After much trial and error I was able to create and publish a stud that works with bolted connections.  I had to convince it that it was actually a hex head bolt.  The trial and error was in determining a distance off the end of the stud to use as the insertion point.  IV thinks everything beyond that point is the hex head.  I had to play around with it to make sure I left enough room for washer and nut... and still have at least some thread sticking out so it looked realistic.  We place them in our piping assemblies only for a count... so it didn't need to be perfect.

Once I published the part, I combined elements of it's family table with some from a hex bolt FT I had opened in Excel and saved to my desktop.  That way I was able to add all of the sizes without having to type them all... I did a lot of copy and paste.

I'm attaching the ipart and an excel spreadsheet here.  (IV 2011 Pro) If you publish this part and then edit the family table, and paste the contents of the spreadsheet.... well, I can't make any guarentees but it might work.  I may have had to do some other tweaks that I can't recall right now.  Worth a shot?  Publish it to the Hex Head bolts folder in your CC.  IV has to think it is a hex bolt.

Good luck.

Message 8 of 12
miechh
in reply to: cbenner

Another vote from this side! Integrate studbolts in the Bolted Connection Generator! At this moment we aren't using the BCG (Bolted Connection Generator) but insert the studbolts manually. It has occured several times now that after altering the distance between the washers, we forgot to increase/decrease the length of the used studbolt. Tried with Autolimits to warn the CAD-designers when difference between distances was too low, but to use this method consumes lot's of time, and it doesn't work when we choose studs with a different diameter. With other words, this has cost us money for buying new studbolts! Smiley Frustrated I don't mind researching how I can solve this by tweaking standard CC-components, but a structural solution for this problem should be implemented yesterday.

Product Design Suite 2024
Inventor 2024 (v 28.20.27200.0000), Vault Basic 2024
Fusion 360
HP Workstation Z4
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Message 9 of 12
RossSapienza
in reply to: miechh

We need stud bolts, We need stud bolts, We need stud bolts ...

Inventor 2017, AutoCAD LT 2017
Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7 @ 3.6 GHz
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 560
Message 10 of 12
austin.marylee

Yet another vote for stud bolts. Autodesk!!!! ARE YOU LISTENING? Please add studbolts for flanges on the bolted connection generator!!! You have two connection points for elbows, why not have two connections for studs???

Message 11 of 12

I'm going to throw this out there, but I know its a not a solution of having stud bolts in CC to be used with bolted connections.

When I use to do this (like 4 to 5 years) ago..  We would make a phantom assembly that consisted of a single stud bolt, washer if needed, and 2 hex nuts that were based on a standard lenghts/requirements.   We would constrain it in a fashion so we could then pattern it around the orign axis to make the required bolt circle.  Yes I know there's a lot of different hold pattern configuration but when we needed to add hardware to our piping we just brought in the required hardware assembly and it was done.  After the intial setup the time to put hardware into our piping runs was a matter of seconds.   Anyhow its a thought...

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 12 of 12

content center publishing is kind of confusing... so I do the same thing Mark mentioned in the previous post.

we use custom parts (studs & nuts) as an assembly and pattern to the bolt holes in the pipe flange. This seems to work well, while having full control over the part's iProperties without the need of CC editing, refreshing and so on.

thanks

Inventor 2017, AutoCAD LT 2017
Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7 @ 3.6 GHz
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 560

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report