Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Physical Properties to STP Files

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1547 Views, 3 Replies

Adding Physical Properties to STP Files

I'm trying to add some material properties to a STP or IGES file I've received from a customer (in Inventor 2011). Is there any way to add a density for example, so I can obtain the mass of the model? I've tried doing it through the iProperties menu but it's not giving me a mass.

Any ideas/

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

and are these imported parts composed of only surfaces..hint hint..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Yes, they are imported, surfaces only. Therein is my question: any quick way to convert these surfaces so I can assign material properties?

Message 4 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, they are imported, surfaces only. Therein is my question: any quick way to convert these surfaces so I can assign material properties?

Yes,
If

the geometry is good - use the Repair or Construction Environment to stitch to a solid.

If it is really good, there might be a set of settings on Options to do this automatically on opening.

if the geometry isn't particularly good you still might be able to repair and stitch.

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

Attach your original files here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report