Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding dimensions into drawings at will.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
EddyUrias
752 Views, 6 Replies

Adding dimensions into drawings at will.

Hi,

I am new to inventor and from a Solidworks background so parts are similar to me.  

I am also new to my workplace and part of my job is to help clean up and produce some of our CAD files.  We are missing drawings from design documentation and I have decided to start there.

How do am I able to add Dimensions into .idw files other than the  Retrieve dimensions function?

In other words how can I add dimensions at will?

Thank you,

Eddy 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mpatchus
in reply to: EddyUrias

Dimensions.JPGGoto the ANNOTATE tab on the ribbon to access dimensions for the drawing views.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 7
swhite

Unlike autocad, in Inventor you can dimension just about anything using one dimension, unless you want chain, ordinate or baseline. Holes can be dimensioned with the regular dimensioning tool or with the hole dimensioning tool. The hole tool will just put number of holes, depth, etc as well. just take a few minutes to study the Annotate Tab to see what all the features do. Hover over them and a brief explanation will appear, and most times a short animated example. In Inventor you may select lines to dimension, single or from line to line, or the end points of lines. The dimension tool will do angles simply by selecting two lines, no need for a specific angle tool.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 4 of 7
blair
in reply to: swhite

Also to add to this, depending on what options you selected on install, you can also change the part size by changing the dimensions here as well.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 7
EddyUrias

Cheers

Message 6 of 7
EddyUrias
in reply to: swhite

thanks!
Message 7 of 7
EddyUrias
in reply to: blair

thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report