Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a part to a single Level of Detail

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
bcrowell
675 Views, 6 Replies

Adding a part to a single Level of Detail

First, is there a way to add a new part to an assembly and it only be added to the active Level of Detail (and the Master, of course)?  It is adding a significant source of potential error when adding a part to an assembly when you have to make sure to go back and change the status of a newly added part in each Level of Detail.

I have bonus questions, too...

Secondly, is there a better solution than using Levels of Detail in the first place?  We typically have assemblies that are in a few stages: 1) an empty shell 2) shell with ballast 3) shell with ballast and fill material.  I have started using Levels of Detail to suppress components at each of those 3 stages because it is important that we have accurate weights for each stage.  Our assemblies are not terribly large so memory usage is not really a problem, and from the help I have read on Levels of Detail it is usually useful in a memory management situation.  Does something else work better?

Lastly, is there any good reason to not be able to save a Level of Detail when there is a positional representation active?

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jtylerbc
in reply to: bcrowell

Before you place the part, lock all the levels of detail other than the ones you want the part in (right click on the LOD in the browser, pick Lock).  After you place the part, go back and unlock them.

You are correct as to what LOD's are usually used for.  Normally I would tell you to use View Representations, but that does not affect the weight, so it doesn't work for your case.  Perhaps using an iAssembly with members to represent the stages would work?

As for the "not saving" question - you can't save the assembly in a Positional Representation, regardless of the LOD.  As to whether there's a good reason or not I don't know, but you'd get a message to that effect whether you were using LOD's or not.

Message 3 of 7
bcrowell
in reply to: jtylerbc

Thanks!

I'm reading up on iAssemblies now.  It may not be worth the complication in our case to use them, but the added benefits may come in handy down the line.

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
Message 4 of 7
kcheney396

Hmm.  Right mouse button on LOD in Inventor Pro 2012 browser does not show "lock" as an option in the pop up menu.

Any suggestions?

I, too, would like to place new parts and subassy's into single LOD's (+master).

Message 5 of 7
jtylerbc
in reply to: kcheney396

It appears that was an error in my previous post.  You can lock a View Representation, but apparantly not an LOD.

Message 6 of 7
cmcconnell

You have arrived at a long time wish list item - and one that would make LODs much more useful.

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 7 of 7
kcheney396
in reply to: bcrowell

Just to clarify, I may have mislead.  It would be much nicer if when adding a part or subassy into a particular LOD, that it would populate the other LOD's in an assy in the suppressed state (except master would be unsupressed, of course).

Did not mean to imply that I expected it not to exist in the other LOD's, just that it start out as supressed by default.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report