Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a custom title block to Inventor

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Bryanf88
9214 Views, 4 Replies

Adding a custom title block to Inventor

Hello all, I would like to add a custom title block template that I created to my Inventor open new drawing dialoge box. I know of the regular way to accomplish this by adding the custom title block to the templates folder in the Inventor folder on my C drive but what I would like to do is somehow link the template to my Inventor templates folder while keeping it in it's current location so that others and myself have access to the latest version of it due to the fact that it is a working document and will be updated periodically. If you have any infomation on this or if it is even possible, I would appriciate it. Thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mpatchus
in reply to: Bryanf88

A couple of options...

1. Use Vault to provide everyone access to the same template files.
  2. Use a shared network drive and set the template location in your project file.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 5
Bryanf88
in reply to: mpatchus

Thank you for the quick reply! 

However, this doesn't exactly seem to get me the solution I was hoping for, if I change the path of my templates folder ( in projects -> folder options -> Templates) I do get my custom title block to show up when opening a new drawing but it's the only thing that shows up. All of my part templates and assembly templates are gone because I changed the path. Is there a way to have both show up in my new drawing dialog? Is there a way to add the custom TB template search path to another folder within my project editor dialog box to get it to show up in the new drawing list? Thanks again!

Message 4 of 5
cwhetten
in reply to: Bryanf88

You can change the folder that Inventor looks in to find the document templates.  We have ours set to a network folder so that any updates to the templates are immediately available to all users.  There are two ways to do this.

1.  Application Options > File tab > Default templates field.

2.  Get Started tab > Projects > Edit your project file and change the Templates location under the Folder Options.  Of course, whichever folder you choose this way will only work for that specific project file, BUT it overrides any folder chosen by method 1 above.

I try to use method 2, because out of the box Inventor defaults to some "My Documents" folder or whatever.  I don't expect my users to remember to change this setting every time they have to reinstall or they lose their settings.  It's just easier to have it controlled at the project level (especially since we use vault and have only one project file).

Edit:  In reply to your second question--just move (or copy) all of your document templates into the network folder.  There is no reason to keep them in the default location (except as a backup).

Message 5 of 5
Bryanf88
in reply to: cwhetten

Got it. Thank you, this should help immensely!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report