Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Voulme to ipart author table

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
CAD-One
1618 Views, 11 Replies

Add Voulme to ipart author table

How to add a volume column to ipart author table?

Evantually I need to display a table with part weights.

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CAD-One
in reply to: CAD-One

I am using Inventor 2011 on Windows 7.

Hopefully there must a way. Its a basic ipart functionality.

I cant post the actual part here, but the question is stright forward.

Someone please guide me.

C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

You can create an additional column for manual entries of weights/volume etc. Is this what you want, or do you want it calculated?

Tekni002090.jpg

Message 4 of 12
CAD-One
in reply to: Anonymous

Dennis,

Wow that close to what I want. LIke I mentioned, I actually want to extend this to calculate the weight. Can you guide me little further.

Thanks

C1

C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

More than likely, you will need to use some VBA or iLogic code to expose the Mass or Volume for reuse in a table.

Hopefully someone can come along with some code. You might also check in the Inventor Customization Discussion group.

However, if you merely want to show the mass in a parts list, you can easily add that column without coding.

Message 6 of 12
swalton

Why not add a material column to the ipart and assign a material that has the correct density and let IV calc the weight automatically?

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2024
Vault Professional 2024
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: swalton

I agree.

Message 8 of 12
CAD-One

I agree too. But ...

By edit table ->properties tab - > Physical ->Material, I can bring in a new column for material. But this doesnt help bring in weights.

How can I calcute weights for esch menber with a only material column?

I wish if I could bring in colums for volume & density, I could then think of multuplying them.

C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 9 of 12
swalton

My understanding of the ipart table is that it is not designed to display caculated values, like volume.  The columns in the ipart table are used for values that you plan to change from row to row to generate the various ipart childern.  I have not tried to add a mass override to an ipart table.

I think that the designed workflow (from Adesk) to vary the mass of an ipart child is to add the material column to the ipart factory table and assign materials with the correct density to individual rows.

If I wanted to see what the calculated volume or mass was for all the members of an ipart factory, I would make an update assembly for that factory.  (also very useful if you are using iparts/iassemblies and vault).  I would place one instance of every ipart child of that factory in the update assembly.  I then would add the volume or mass, etc column to the BOM editor in that assembly. 

If  I needed to see the volume/mass of the ipart childern on an idw, I would add a parts list to the print and show the proper columns.  You can point a part list at an ipt file, not just iam/ipn files.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2024
Vault Professional 2024
Message 10 of 12
CAD-One

I am not sure if this would work, because I am creating drawing for couple of members ( 1 drg for each member) and I am not able to show the weights on the tile block.

It shows N/A. Though, the iproperties show the right weight and changes when another member is activated.

C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

Did you set the material?   It works here. I'm assuming that you have solids, not surfaces.

One more thing - in the IDW, have you populated the title block with the PART property?

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I am creating an ipart that will be published to CC. I am trying to add a custom column that will calculate the number of pieces based on the length of a piece divided by the length of purchased material. I am thinking of adding an equasion to an ipart table and then exporting unitless value (# of pieces)...

The problem is that the items are purchased in different lenghts, and thats why I need to modify table instead of working with parameters and iproperties. If there was one length I would not have to add this column.

Any suggestions?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report