Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add-On Only Assembly

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
deondres034
431 Views, 11 Replies

Add-On Only Assembly

Is there a way to create an assembly where the next person that uses it can only add to but not edit the initial part? What I'm trying to do is create a working assembly line with inventor. I build the initial part x and place it inside an assembly. The next person builds part y and constrains it to part x as necessary. I want to do something like this so that the person down the line cant change my parts and I cant change theirs while my part drives the position of theirs through changes without reconstraining their parts. Also if they have to change their part, it updates theirs in the assembly without the initial part being affected. Can this be done? If so I need a little guidance from those who've done something like this or more experienced with the software.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mdavis22569
in reply to: deondres034

Are you using Vault?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
deondres034
in reply to: mdavis22569

Vault would probably be the best solution but we dont have it.

Message 4 of 12
mrattray

No; not without Vault or an equivalent.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 12
swalton

Vault uses Windows File Permissions. Any file that is not checked-out is set to read only.

You might be able to use the file permissions and set it so that only the person that "owns" the file is allowed to edit it.  I have not tried this; it may be too cumbersome for production work. This assumes that you are storing your files on a common network directory.

If you are using individual working directories on each user's workstation, you might be able to hack something together with RoboCopy to move the proper files around.

At that point though, I would just install free Vault. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 6 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: swalton

Just tell the next guy "Hey..don't mess with my parts and I won't mess with yours" 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 12
deondres034
in reply to: swalton

Thanks for the input guys. Swalton a file permission was along the lines of what I was looking for. I can edit this part, he can edit that part, and we both have assembly access. I was just trying to find a way to do this without vault. Normally we work in two different network directories and I've been trying to find a way to get around that to work in mine and reference it in our 3D directory but it gets pretty tricky working from different places with project files. I've explained the situation to people further up the chain and hopefully we can get vault but for now we're going to use the mcgyver way and try not to edit eachother's parts involuntarily. 

Message 8 of 12
mrattray

Don't forget that Vault Basic ships with PDS, so if you have PDS you already have Vault Basic. You just need to get it set up.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 12
blair

Not the best solution, use Libraries. This allows other people to use the IPT's and IAM's in other assemblies but can't edit them or change them. Create a new Project file and use your exiting directories as Libraries.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 12

Hi deondres034,

To expand on blair's suggestion, you would create a project file that includes your colleague's folder path as a library (so that their work is always read only to you), and your colleague would create another project file that includes your folder path as a library path (so that your work is always read only to them).

So you will both work using different active project files.

Manage and configure libraries

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-D80F7A70-77AF-4F08-8BAE-6DD8E48F491A

I think that setup might be a bit of uncharted territory, as it would not be a typical set up, but it might be a clever fix for your situation. If so kudos to blair.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 11 of 12

Since you can't use Vault currently ... Can you talk to IT' and have them make a share directory that has certain permissions ... Say Read only for him, but Read/Write for you ... He gets one too for what he's working on .. where it's Read/Write for him, and Read for everyone else ... Then a 3rd area where for all files to stored when they are available for everyone to work on .. Crude way but possible work around for now

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
deondres034
in reply to: blair

Big kudos to Blair for the excellent suggestion. Thankyou Curtis as well for the starting point. I've never dealt with libraries before so I was a bit lost when I was trying to get a mental picture of how it would all tie together. Uncharted territories yes, but not difficult to work with. My part files are driven by a form i created using ilogic. I had it triggered to open when a new similar part is created from a template and when the part file is reopened. I found out that you can still edit it via the ilogic form even working under the main project file even if its read only so I just turned that event trigger off. Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report