Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add material to custom library.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
HarryP108
9967 Views, 11 Replies

Add material to custom library.

Hello people,

I have recently started playing with the new materials and appearances browsers - what a nightmare.

So I created a custom library as described in the "Materials and Appearances" whitepaper from Autodesk.

Then:

Bottom left corner of material browser > create new material

> edit material: change its name, density etc

Why can I not add it to the new custom library - from document materials?

I tried to drag and drop - no success.

I tried to right click > add to > xxx material library - no success.

It does however let me drag and drop to the "favorites".

Any help, further procedures or insight greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Inventor Professional.
Windows 10.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
SBix26
in reply to: HarryP108

Welcome to Materials & Appearances!  You have to just keep trying.  I can't tell you what sequence of saves, updates, purges, etc will finally get the job done, but something will work. When you have the material the way you want, purge all other materials from the document, save and exit, then start up again.  Make sure the library is added to your project.  Then try to copy it to the library.  If that doesn't work, try the Save Styles tool (works with M&A libraries, too).

Yes, we all want our Material & Color styles back.Smiley Mad

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 3 of 12
blair
in reply to: SBix26

This is a good document

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 12
HarryP108

Thanks folks.

That attached document is the "whitepaper" I was referring to. A good document but more centred around migration rather than just straight out creating a material and/or appearance. So not a great document for me. There really needs to be more from Autodesk on this in my opinion - considering it's a completely new tool.

I finally got my document material into my library - by doing the same thing I had been. Also a document appearance. Then got an ipart I recently created over to it.

Very clunky indeed.

I will no doubt have further queries in the near future. Smiley Happy

Regards. 

Inventor Professional.
Windows 10.
Message 5 of 12
carimkus

I agree.

Use tko be able to swich units on the fly while creating custom materila properties.

I cannot find any information regarding how to create a new material style.

I’d like to create a carbon steel AISI-ASTM CORTEN A style having the following Mechanical Properties; @ 25°C
Density 7.85 x 1000 kg/m3,
Poisson’s Ratio 0.28,
Elastic Modulus 200 GPa,
Tensile Strength 1158 MPa,
Yield Strength 1034 MPa,
Elongation 15%,
Reduction in Area 53%,
Hardness 335HB, and
Physical Properties;
Thermal Conductivity 42.7W/m-K @100°C,
Specific Heat 477 J/kg.K,
Thermal Expansion 17e-6/K

Message 6 of 12
SBix26
in reply to: carimkus

Have you tried the WikiHelp?  Try here: WikiHelp: Materials.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.16.2
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 7 of 12
moto748
in reply to: SBix26

I'd like to add my voice to the litany of complaints, having recently upgraded (?) from IV 2009 to IV 2013. I'm sure we've all been on the Wikihelp page, and clear as mud it is. Personally, (and I expect many feel the same), I'm much more interested in a material's physical properties (particularly density) then whatever pretty colours it can be rendered in, and I suspect it's the emphasis on appearances that is muddying the waters here. I think the help is very poorly written indeed. Autodesk seem to assume a level of familiarity in users that doesn't tally with someone who is seeking help on how to do something! Material editor and material browser: are both really necessary? What I need is an 'Idiot's Guide to creating a new material. Starting at the beginning. Do I need to be in an open .ipt file to start with? Or an .iam? Or a .deg file? Or nothing at all? Then what? I don't need half a dozen different ways to achieve the same task. Just one will do.
Message 8 of 12
moto748
in reply to: moto748

Haven't tried it yet, but this looks clearer and more logical, albeit long-winded!

http://www.trainingtutorial.com/TAT38_Custom_Autodesk_Inventor_2013_Material_Library.htm

Message 9 of 12
mrattray

I can give you the two second run down, but do you already have a custom library created, do you wish to create one, or do you simply want to edit Inventor's (I recommend making your own if you haven't already and leaving the stock one stock)?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 12
HarryP108
in reply to: mrattray

Care to give me the two second run down?

This materials and appearance browser is a complete piece of garbage! I'm on 2017 at home now, and still have not got my head around it.

Do Autodesk know the acronym KISS? I don't think so...

For what it's worth, I've recently taken some contracting work - they are still using 2011 - so much easier to work with. I want steel, and I want it Gray Dark. Done. Move on with life.

Cheers.

Inventor Professional.
Windows 10.
Message 11 of 12
crpt123

+1 on that PaulB108

Keep it simple, add functionality/options but keep what is working just as it is. Smiley Wink

Regards

Inventor 2016
Message 12 of 12
jlkono

that link fixed my material override issue. thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report